PLEASE HELP! (hides all the time)

Cpm1992

Hi I have recently changed my torts enclosure from a viv to a tort table and the first day he loved it he was running about exploring but now hes hiding constantly and not moving for hours. He doesn't seem himself and im worrying sick. Advice please! ? :(

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
RE: PLEASE HELP!

Information on things like the type of tortoise, temperatures, humidity, substrate helps. Usually tortoises take a while to adjust to change. If the environment/husbandry is correct, then allow a week or two for your tortoise to get comfortable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: PLEASE HELP!

When you put a tortoise into a new "territory" or take him outside for the first time, and he runs around like a crazy person, most people mis-interpret that activity as being excited and loving the new environment. Its usually the opposite that is true. Putting a tortoise into a new area means he has to run around and quickly find a safe place to be. Then, once he finds what he thinks is safe, he'll stay there until he gets used to the idea of being in a new area.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Yvonne Great answer. I did the old palm to the forehead when I read it.
I had wondered about the tortoises lack of interest in sections of their pen after the initial "perimeter" patrols.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can we get a pic of his environment? We can then advice better. Like Yvonne said, give him time to adjust and try to handle him less until he's comfortable. He'll come along :)

Cpm1992

Ohh I feel a lot more at ease now you have all said it is normal. I have one of the big combined heat and uv lights and am getting a red heat night bulb today if you all agree thats a good idea! Its just because of how active hes been since I had him now he suddenly doesn't move or hides its easy to worry. Heres a picture if you have advice for changes ill be very appreciative. Thank you!
Oh wait how do I post a pic ha ?