Pls help! Is this a penis prolapse? At just one year old?

kameko

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hello all!
I had so much support on this forum when I found baby Western Herman hatchlings in our garden about a year ago, so thank you for that.

I need some more favor...
One of the now 1 year old youngsters has a maybe penis prolapse... I am attaching the pictures of it.
He (or she) weighs about 150g. I saw it putting this in and out for a day or two, then for the last few days, it looks like it is stuck outside.
Should I soak him/her in sugar syrup and massage it to see if I can push it back in?
He/She is very active with good appetite, and I believe it is pooping no problem.

Thanks so much!
Kameko
20230912_164636.jpg20230912_164704.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure you keep your tortoise well hydrated and not using substrate that causes impactions.
Yes, make a sugar paste and put it on the penis area. Do not let the penis dry up. If it goes back in, then that's great. Then give it a long warm soak and figure out why it's getting a prolapse.
Sand, stones, moss and bought soils can cause impactions. Too small of an enclosure can cause problems too with digestion and of course straining to poop which leads to prolapse. Poor hydration will also cause prolapses.
If he's able to pull it in on his own, then he's just being a young male that has found its new toy.
Btw, not always, but usually, a penis is much more exposed when it is a prolapse.