Poorly tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

5 Year Member
Poorly Torti

:( I've had tortoises for 7 years now but recently purchased a female one 6 weeks ago. Over the past week she has been really slow and when I picked her put today she was very weak. From reading posts I think she has an eye infection too. I have bathed her and she seemed to drink a lot. She seems slightly more perky but she is still weak.
I did notice her eat slightly and urinate yesterday. She has eaten nothing today.
I've separated her from my others and am keeping her UVB light on all the time.
I will take her to vets on Monday but wanted to know if I can do anything else before Monday?
Thank you

clairebun

5 Year Member
I purchased a female 6 weeks ago for my male Russian torti however she seems I'll.
She has really slowed down over the last week and is now really weak. She also seems to have an eye infection.
I bathed her and she drank a lot but has not eaten or passed any stools today. I've separated her and left her UVB light on. I will take to the vets but is there anything I can in the mean time? Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi clairebun:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

We'll need to have more information before we can give you helpful information on caring for your tortoise:

What kind of tortoise is it?

Is it the same kind of tortoise as the others in your care?

How is the tortoise set up (indoors/outside)?

What are you feeding?

and anything else you can tell us about the situation.

clairebun

5 Year Member
Hello,
I have Russians. I am quite experienced, I've had one of my tortoises, Jammy for 7 years now.
They usually live in an enclosure outside but I've brought them in as it's turned cold.
In doors they have a hollow log to hide in with a mixture of sand and substrate on the floor.
I usually feed them on weeds, lettuce,cucumber, carrots grated and they have cuttle fish in there at all times.
I have one UVB light on and I recently bought another last week. I've been reading regarding issues with UVB lights causing illness so I have removed the new bulb and replaced it last night with a normal one.
I bathed her again this morning. She has urinated but not eaten for 2 days.
Any advise appreciated.
Claire from Chicago (originally UK)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How was she cared for prior to you? You say you have only had her for 6 weeks? and this is a time of year that she would slow down to hibernate..that is if she has been housed outdoors 24/7 previously...how old is she? Are you able to post pics of her eye(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.