Poplar mulch

baldegale

i know your not supposed to use pine and a couple other mulchs and pure cypress mulch is hard to find (cheap that is) and was wondering if poplar mulch would be good?

zovick

10 Year Member!
You can probably find acceptable cypress mulch at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $3.50 per bag. I have used it for years with no problems.

Poplar mulch is one I have never seen. Where did you find it? I am thinking it may be a locally produced mulch in your area that is not widely available. I don't believe poplar would be harmful. It is not an evergreen like fir and pine, so should be safe as I see it.

baldegale

You can probably find acceptable cypress mulch at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $3.50 per bag. I have used it for years with no problems.

Poplar mulch is one I have never seen. Where did you find it? I am thinking it may be a locally produced mulch in your area that is not widely available. I don't believe poplar would be harmful. It is not an evergreen like fir and pine, so should be safe as I see it.

they make it at a lumber yard, they have 3 different varieties of it. i always wanted to use the cypress mulch but at HD and Lowes its always a “blend” and i never know whats in it so ive been scares to use it. im just sick of only using only coco coir because in a closed chamber it doesnt hold humidity very long, dries super fast. heres the 3 different kinds: IMG_6888.jpg

baldegale

also i have to contact them to see pricing cause it could be an extremely expensive thing

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If your substrate is drying out super fast in a closed chamber, that is an indicator that you have too much ventilation and the system is not "closed" enough. A different substrate won't change this rate of evaporation, nor do you want it too. If your substrate is drying out, that means it is putting humidity into the air where you want it. The solution is to close off the areas where you are losing humidity.