Potentially consuming substrate.

MasterSplinter

I'm new to the tortoise world so please bare with me.

I've had my marginated tortoise (Splinter) for about a week now and have been researching what type or substrate to use. My girlfriend bought me splinter at a pet store and as for substrate they told her rabbit pellets which i quickly found out it was total bs.

Anyway as of right now im using cocofiber for the bottom layer and reptibark on the top. I haven't seen him actively eating the reptibark. I put his food on top of a flat rock in the corner. My only concern is that he his a messy eater and sometimes there are small pieces of bark stuck to his foot and while he eats, it sometimes get stuck on the food as well and consumes it. Should i be concerned about this?IMG_2546 (1).PNG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It happens from time to time. I wouldn't be overly concerned. Your tort isn't eating it deliberately.

A bigger piece of flat rock or slate will help to keep food cleaner.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I use a wide terra-cotta plant saucer for my tort's dinner plate. She can easily climb the lip of the saucer and it helps keep the food in. :)

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its great that you noticed this, but no, you should not be concerned. A little incidental ingestion of substrate is normal and it is not a problem with either of the substrates you are using.

I also use the terra cotta saucers for food and I also find it greatly reduces substrate ingestion.