Power Out - ?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
We have a wood stove, that in the winter heats our entire house. We would probobly just put him next to it and he would be nice and warm.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A reminder that wood stoves dry the air very fast, so you may need to add more water to the substrate sooner than usual.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
A reminder that wood stoves dry the air very fast, so you may need to add more water to the substrate sooner than usual.

I would only put him by the wood stove if the power went out. He currently is in the room adjacent to the wood stove. I also mist his enclosure every day/every other day, and have edible plants growing in his enclosure, which seem to help to keep the humidity in.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
A couple years ago we had a horrible winter storm, woke up one morning and had no power, house was freezing. Thousands of people were out of power for weeks or months. My neighborhood was out for 2 wks. I lost almost all my fish, had to stay at a friends house in another town (I can not stand staying placed other then my own home) so I worked some overtime and bought a generator. I can almost plug my entire house up. Of course I don't, I plug the essentials up, TV, satellite, cell phone chargers, and the all important alarm clock. The only big things I plug up are the fridge and aquarium. Of course now I have the torts so they will get plugged up if we have any power outages. I always test it once winter is officially here and I make sure I have a couple 10gallon gas jugs on hand so I ain't having to run get it in the middle of the night. Cross fingers, we won't need to use it any this year!!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Great! This is a great place to get help. I have some hand warmers and have more ideas now.
Thanks to all!
P.S. Merry Christmas!

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
So what if your stuck in the FROG of your house. here in NC we dont get tht bad of snow but we do get hurricanes time from time so no really cold weather but kindof hot and humid weather once the ac craps out. BTW the tort would be a russian so i know they can be really adaptable.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Love the ideas on power outage during winter (especially since where we are moving will most likely be colder.) Putting a pot of water on top of your wood stove will help with humidity as well. As far as hurricanes go (we live in SETX) I have extra water on hand as well as Mazuri pellets. Also fans, etc. We DO have a generator (we lost have our house during Rita) as well as gas to run it. I am from CA so I am use to preparing for an emergency and feel it is better to err on the side of extreme caution then get hit with something you thought you wouldn't. Especially when you have pets you adore.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I have a small generator that will run my shed. It runs for about 12 hours on a tank of gas. One day I will get a built in natural gas generator that will also run my house. Luckily I do not lose power very often. Although we had an ice storm not too many years ago that the kept power off for about 10 days. The problem was people were stealing gas generators from people's yards.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a small generator that will run my shed. It runs for about 12 hours on a tank of gas. One day I will get a built in natural gas generator that will also run my house. Luckily I do not lose power very often. Although we had an ice storm not too many years ago that the kept power off for about 10 days. The problem was people were stealing gas generators from people's yards.
Wow. We are lucky. We rarely have power cuts. And if we do it'd never for more than 30 minutes.