Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's very slow here today. You all must be out and about doing Saturday things.

@Jacqui - was your roadhouse meal something with b-b-q beef?

Today I set up a winter habitat for the same two female desert tortoises that have occupied it for the past 3 winters. This will be their 4th. The one, Mi-shell, is my first tortoise. She has an abscess on her nose that I can't get rid of. It hasn't caused her a problem for over a year, but it's still a bit swollen and I'm afraid to allow hibernation.

The other one, Skinny, is a very large female that just has skin draped over bones. While up in the winter habitat she has a good appetite, but over the summer she gets thin. I try to feed her when she's out in the habitat, but I really don't think she grazes on her own. This winter I'm going to try to get her interested in Mazuri. It's known for putting weight on a tortoise.

The russians are now in their hibernaculum, safely tucked away until spring.

I have three juvenile desert tortoises that I'll be boxing up in shredded paper in a couple days and putting them into the chest-type, disconnected freezer.

There's a bunch of yard work needs doing. Tomorrow's another day.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne what happened with DT you were not sure of the sex on that had a funny scute?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is a beautiful start to the day with the sun just coloring the horizon, before it shows itself. Hope where ever you are, your day is starting (or ending) as stunningly.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Happy Saturday.......I found out Thursday, that my diagnosis of a fatal disease was wrong. The only thing that's wrong with my brain is 50 years of drug abuse and alcoholism. I had 3 MRI's 2 cat scans and a PET scan. in one day, what a thrill. The PET scan found nothing, as my pet turtle was in my purse, not on me. Why would they look for pets on ya in the first place?
Well, I'm going over to a Sulcata forum, adios

Great news Maggie! Stay healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne what happened with DT you were not sure of the sex on that had a funny scute?

I'll have to look back at my old posts and try to find what you're talking about. They all swim together in the back recesses of my mind and merge together in my memory. I DO have three juveniles still here and one of them has aberrant scutes. Was it one of the group that were kept together in a small square aquarium? If so, then I'm keeping the one with the aberrant scute pattern. Or was it Bondo, James Bondo? I'm keeping him too, since I adopted out all the males I had here.

It is a beautiful start to the day with the sun just coloring the horizon, before it shows itself. Hope where ever you are, your day is starting (or ending) as stunningly.

I went out at zero dark thirty (that's before sunrise) so I haven't seen the sky. There's too many trees and building on the east side of my property to get a good look at the sunrise anyway. I'll have to take your word for it.

It's a Chi tea from Scooters sorta day

I've not tasted chi tea. Good, huh?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
After killing a couple of hours on the way home, I stopped at this small place that just started doing a Sunday brunch buffet. Yummy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I think Bondo was the name.

I think it's the first time he's been with girls maybe ever, but at any rate, for a very long time. I have to watch the desert tortoise yard throughout the day to make sure he's right side up. He's really trying to breed those girls, and they're not havin' any of it!

At first, I tried to pick the bondo off his shell, but after you named him for me (Bondo, James Bondo), I decided to just leave it on. The shell is healed and the bondo is no longer required, but it's not causing any harm or discomfort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What nice weather! It's just great working-outside weather. I was able to mark off 4 things from my to-do list this morning. Of course, there's a whole page more to do, but tomorrow's another day, they tell me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh, no one has posted on the chat since this a.m.? Where are you all?

We're supposed to get a bit of rain tonight. So in order to get ready for that prediction, I've got my sprinklers running.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Gosh, no one has posted on the chat since this a.m.? Where are you all?

We're supposed to get a bit of rain tonight. So in order to get ready for that prediction, I've got my sprinklers running.

I was sleeping. :oops:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My second oldest dog died yesterday. Raindrops was really my daughter's dog, but you know how that goes. I believe she was about 16 years old. Now this morning my oldest dog refused the morning treat of peanut butter. This way I can spend the day worrying about her. She, Balarney, is over 18.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks to be another nice day here. Not like the other night, when I left the mulberry leaves I collected for folks outside and the "slight chance" of rain ended up a bunch of rain. Still haven't gotten myself to collect new leaves. :rolleyes: