Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

(These have nothing to do with "Happy New Year," I just thought they were cute!

Killerrookie

Hey guys! I got this stuff for a baby Blue Tongue Skink I'll be getting in less than a month and wondering if it's good for tortoises as well.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483199017.204832.jpg
I never seen anyone talk about giving their tortoise it so I'm just curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of us feel they get enough vitamins from their food. That's not harmful when used sparingly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes soak baby tortoises in liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water, but I've never used the powdered vitamins over their food. Not to say it shouldn't be done, it's just I've never used it.

Killerrookie

I sometimes soak baby tortoises in liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water, but I've never used the powdered vitamins over their food. Not to say it shouldn't be done, it's just I've never used it.
I'll give it a try for a bit and see what happens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's getting harder and harder for me to get dressed and go outside in the a.m. A couple years ago when my horses were still alive, I used to pop out of bed in the mornings, take care of my duties on the Forum, and get outside, most mornings before 7a. Now I dilly dally here on the forum in front of the wood stove putting off even getting dressed for as long as I can.

My leg muscles are pretty sore today. The repair work I did on the Aldabra shed on Thursday really did a number on my legs. It's getting harder and harder for me to squat or get down on the floor, then get back up again. Climbing the ladder is the same. After I've been up and down a ladder several times my legs are SO sore the next day. And raking leaves off the roof next to the garage is one of the things on my to do list. This meant climbing the ladder, raking, getting down, moving the ladder and climbing, raking, getting down, repeat, repeat, etc. Not looking forward to that at all. Anyone want to come do it for me?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just discovered a format change button on the first page down in the lower left hand corner. I've switched my format to Xen based. It looks quite different! I'm going to try it for a while and see how I like it.

One thing I really like about it is the up and down arrows in the lower right corner.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Yvonne. Bad day for you here (windy) and just a tad cool.

we have our version of snow for the next 10 days. Crud...... I guess I need to go buy a couple bags of cement for traction. It's 26 degrees and still going down
I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome back and or asking if I had a great time, but I can't.
@Jacqui here's our tree and my 50 yr old son and 2 yr old Pepper, a labradoodle.

DSCN3443.JPG

DSCN3456.JPG

My son collects coffee pots...and cook books...
DSCN3448.JPG

DSCN3447.JPG

@MPRC this one's for you. And that's MY original Kodak Brownie....the others are propably common, but I don't know anything about them. I just wanted you to see my Brownie. I babysat All freaking summer to earn it.
DSCN3432.JPG
You will notice that in the first picture is Pepper, with a Christmas card stolen from my suitcase. My son says "look, she's been shopping in your suit case." She did eat my favorite pair of leggings. And my post ends with her and my Christmas card I had a great time, but Jacqui, don't make her hug me again. It makes her nervous, but she did hugme for you....lol

DSCN3444.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@maggie3fan - I'm so glad you thought to take pictures while you were at Danny's house. I didn't even think about it. I'm going to send them to Genine.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
we have our version of snow for the next 10 days. Crud...... I guess I need to go buy a couple bags of cement for traction. It's 26 degrees and still going down
I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome back and or asking if I had a great time, but I can't.
@Jacqui here's our tree and my 50 yr old son and 2 yr old Pepper, a labradoodle.

View attachment 196002

View attachment 196003

My son collects coffee pots...and cook books...
View attachment 196005

View attachment 196007

@MPRC this one's for you. And that's MY original Kodak Brownie....the others are propably common, but I don't know anything about them. I just wanted you to see my Brownie. I babysat All freaking summer to earn it.
View attachment 196008
You will notice that in the first picture is Pepper, with a Christmas card stolen from my suitcase. My son says "look, she's been shopping in your suit case." She did eat my favorite pair of leggings. And my post ends with her and my Christmas card I had a great time, but Jacqui, don't make her hug me again. It makes her nervous, but she did hugme for you....lol

View attachment 196009
I love seeing all these pictures. My first two cookbooks were the Betty Crocker and Better Homes. My mother had the Corningware coffee pot. I still have our first Brownie camera.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It's getting harder and harder for me to get dressed and go outside in the a.m. A couple years ago when my horses were still alive, I used to pop out of bed in the mornings, take care of my duties on the Forum, and get outside, most mornings before 7a. Now I dilly dally here on the forum in front of the wood stove putting off even getting dressed for as long as I can.

My leg muscles are pretty sore today. The repair work I did on the Aldabra shed on Thursday really did a number on my legs. It's getting harder and harder for me to squat or get down on the floor, then get back up again. Climbing the ladder is the same. After I've been up and down a ladder several times my legs are SO sore the next day. And raking leaves off the roof next to the garage is one of the things on my to do list. This meant climbing the ladder, raking, getting down, moving the ladder and climbing, raking, getting down, repeat, repeat, etc. Not looking forward to that at all. Anyone want to come do it for me?
I have the same problem squatting down and not being able to get back up.

I can't handle the cold. I know the cold we have here in California is nothing compared to what most of the rest of the country experiences, but to me it feels cold! When we first moved to this area, we came from an area that gets colder in the winter, and for the first year, I could go out and do yardwork on winter mornings without feeling cold at all. Then I got acclimated and now I'm always cold. My daughter was just visiting from Northern California, and she thought the weather here was really mild compared to what she has.

A tortoise is the perfect pet for me because he doesn't want to do anything when it is cold either.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

I can't handle the cold. I know the cold we have here in California is nothing compared to what most of the rest of the country experiences, but to me it feels cold! When we first moved to this area, we came from an area that gets colder in the winter, and for the first year, I could go out and do yardwork on winter mornings without feeling cold at all. Then I got acclimated and now I'm always cold. My daughter was just visiting from Northern California, and she thought the weather here was really mild compared to what she has.

A tortoise is the perfect pet for me because he doesn't want to do anything when it is cold either.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483235219.186414.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Listen, don't feel bad. I froze from the time I got off the train in Fresno until I got home. I just closed up the tort shed in the yard. It's 26 degrees and I wore a tee shirt. Not cold. It's not supposed to get cold in Calif so the darned state dosen't know how to do it right. I did wake up for a few minutes as we went past Mt. Shasta, we were going 3 or 4 MPH with a snow blower in front of us. It was beautiful, deep deep snow.I didn't realize trains had to slow down for snow. I should think it would be more fun to just plow thru it fast. Damn, we're looking at single digits. (deep sigh)....Happy New Year chatters....