pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

A very Happy Birthday wish to you Jacqui...

That was beautiful, what you wrote about Nebraska. One of my favorite truck stops is Exit 102 I think, Big Springs? It's been a long time now, it's hard to remember...Where do you live Jacqui?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:

Why thank you, Ms. Maggie! Did they work on Bob's adobe today?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
AnthonyC said:
Question... Is it wrong to be an English teacher and thing that Shakespeare is overrated? Happy B-day Jacqui. :)

Shakespeare is overrated by English teachers in particular.
Scenario: Grading college entrance essays, prompt about a school with only enough money to build either a performing arts center or a new gymnasium. One paper began with the quote, "For all the world's a stage" and went on to argue in favor of building the performing arts center. The English teachers grading the essays were THRILLED to see the quote and inclined to give the paper the highest marks. I argued for much lower marks on two counts. First, if all the world's a stage there's no reason to spend scarce money building another stage, so the support for her argument was faulty. Second, that quote was all she had. Reading further in the essay, she added no further support for her position, so she did not meet the criteria for higher marks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Shakespeare? lust,murder, incest, sounds like TV today I don't get his popularity.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
emysemys said:
FranklinTturtle said:
It is probably going to look bad. Ghetto style.

You mean you're going to spray graffiti all over it? :p
That funny! This afternoon I was looking at the red spray paint my little one put on there when he was 5 years old. So, you hit the nail on the head. lol

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacqui said:
maggie3fan said:

Why thank you, Ms. Maggie! Did they work on Bob's adobe today?

No, I got it all ready too. Picked up all the hay and put it in bags, moved all the water dishes out and the heater, then I brought Queenie in and set her up, then went out and swept Bob's floor. After I did that I realized it was pretty stupid cuz their just gonna lift it out. Bob's going to be missing his hay, I am thinking about putting some back for him to sleep in as they are not going to come until next week.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
No, I got it all ready too. Picked up all the hay and put it in bags, moved all the water dishes out and the heater, then I brought Queenie in and set her up, then went out and swept Bob's floor. After I did that I realized it was pretty stupid cuz their just gonna lift it out. Bob's going to be missing his hay, I am thinking about putting some back for him to sleep in as they are not going to come until next week.

Is the Queen liking her new royal chambers?

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a little teeny Texas tortoise walking around on my computer desk in front of me. Do any of you socialize your small tortoises? Bob is out eating watermelon. It's going to be in the 90's here next week...

Jacqui said:
maggie3fan said:

Is the Queen liking her new royal chambers?

She ate a handful of dandelions and dug out the hide more, it's a piece of slate setting up on bricks, then she climbed into the hide and went to sleep. So I'm thinking that means it's an alright place...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
I have a little teeny Texas tortoise walking around on my computer desk in front of me. Do any of you socialize your small tortoises? Bob is out eating watermelon. It's going to be in the 90's here next week...

Was 101 here today. Would like the temps to go down a bit...

Edna! I haven't saw you around much lately. Is school in session?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Depends on the tortoise, whether they seem to like it or not. My baby Sulcatas son't mind being handled, neither does my little greek. The Stars hate it, so I leave them alone. They won't even eat if I am looking at them.

Got to 90 here today, supposed to be about the same tomorrow, to me that is HOT. 101 and I would be literally dying, no thank you...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yeah the 101 was not what I would have chosen if it were up to me. Atleast a little less humidity then yesterday, when the heat index was 101, but actual heat was only in the upper 90s

M

Maggie Cummings

It's been in the 70's and 60's here for a week then going up again. Hot weather is unusual for us...

1zzriug.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
CtTortoiseMom said:
Momof4 said:
I have an ear/sinus infection. I'm 42yrs old. Why? I had my 1st one ever when I was camping 20yrs ago! It is not fun! I know why my kids get so cranky! My Dr office was full today so I went to the CVS Minute Clinic. Love it! Took my 5 yr old there yesterday for an infected finger.

That stink's!! Poor you!! Ear infections are the worst!!! I hope the antibiotics work fast!!

I hope the antibotics kick in too. I'm so happy my husband took my daughter to soccer practice. It seems to get worse in the evening.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
I don't know how to change my signature. I went into the edit box and I cannot get it to work. Can anyone walk me thru it?
Thanks
Jessica

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
FranklinTturtle said:
I don't know how to change my signature. I went into the edit box and I cannot get it to work. Can anyone walk me thru it?
Thanks
Jessica
Go to user PC go to your profile and then click edit signature.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
FranklinTturtle said:
Thanks
Jessica
Your too fast for me!

maggie3fan said:
It's been in the 70's and 60's here for a week then going up again. Hot weather is unusual for us...

1zzriug.jpg

Maggie, is that my birthday present???

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacqui said:
dmmj said:
FranklinTturtle said:
Thanks
Jessica
Your too fast for me!

maggie3fan said:

1zzriug.jpg

Maggie, is that my birthday present???

Talk Yvonne out of him...right now he's too soft to go anywhere

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Shakespeare...I don't like the language. I can't understand half of what they're saying. I just finished watching a movie on cable about a couple guys on the way to a wedding who stopped to rob a bank. At the end of the movie they're driving a bus into a road block, knowing that they're about to die, and the one guy quoted a Shakespeare soliloquy and for the first time, because of the captions for the hearing impaired, I understood what was being said.

It was only about 90 here today. I had a few folks I used to associate with because of the turtle club here and they stayed for a couple hours. We were sitting under the mullberry tree and it was SO comfortable...not hot at all.

I'm going to have to start thinking about bringing the babies in at night. In the mornings they feel pretty cool. I hate the change from summer to winter (we usually don't get Autumn here). Too much work. It usually takes me around a week to get all the plants put into the greenhouse and the tort/bird houses wrapped in plastic. Then the house looks so bare with no plants.

Jacqui: I hope you had an enjoyable birthday. Did you notice that the Fairy didn't tell folks how old you are this year?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:

School is very much in session, 9 days with students. I'M NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!! LOL Our principal gave us the big warning about posting anything about school on our facebook pages or anywhere online. AS IF that's what I want to talk about out in the cyber world, Hahahahaha.
My torts are happy and healthy, but may not get outside anymore this year. We're warm during the day, but by the time I get home the sun is low enough that the torts just bed down if I put them out. At least I have all 5 eating Mazuri now. That makes the trips to the grocery store less urgent.
Sorry I missed your B-Day, Jacqui. I hope it was great!!

We had a very busy summer here. I bought this house 3 years ago and really wanted to get the yard fenced right away. This summer it was finally time to fence. White wooden pickets, 4 feet high, all the way around except for the space right in front of the house. The fence is up on a retaining wall on two sides of the house, so that's more like a 6-7' height, great for keeping the deer out. As soon as the fence was taking shape, I started planning/jumping into landscaping for the front area, the part not in the fence. It includes a slope down to the top of the retaining wall, and southern exposure, very challenging to plant and keep things alive. I did some small terracing with local stone. I moved plants around from my east flower beds, bought a few plants, and my mom gave me some starts from her gardens. There are still empty spaces, and the sedums will have to spread to make it right, but it's a beginning. On the east side of my house the area along the house, including a flower bed and sidewalk the length of the house, was 5-6 inches lower than the grass a couple of feet away. It always felt wrong, and the lowest area of the sidewalk was a mud hole whenever it rained. We had 4 tons of dirt delivered and moved it all with a wheelbarrow to the low area. We built up with dirt on top of the narrow sidewalk and made a path with pavers. The flower bed is now as high as the lawn, and the path is a little higher. I used edgers to define the flower bed, added a layer of cedar mulch, and replanted just a few of the original plants at the new height. The Russian sage and mint I left in place and just built up the dirt around it, so far a success. The area just looks and feels so much better! This month we will plant grass around the pavers and in other bare spots and next year I expect the yard to be an oasis of calm and rest LOL.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
Talk Yvonne out of him...right now he's too soft to go anywhere

:D There ya go passing the buck again! :D

How soft is the little guy?

Edna said:
Jacqui said:

School is very much in session, 9 days with students. I'M NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!! LOL Our principal gave us the big warning about posting anything about school on our facebook pages or anywhere online. AS IF that's what I want to talk about out in the cyber world, Hahahahaha.
My torts are happy and healthy, but may not get outside anymore this year. We're warm during the day, but by the time I get home the sun is low enough that the torts just bed down if I put them out. At least I have all 5 eating Mazuri now. That makes the trips to the grocery store less urgent.
Sorry I missed your B-Day, Jacqui. I hope it was great!!

We had a very busy summer here. I bought this house 3 years ago and really wanted to get the yard fenced right away. This summer it was finally time to fence. White wooden pickets, 4 feet high, all the way around except for the space right in front of the house. The fence is up on a retaining wall on two sides of the house, so that's more like a 6-7' height, great for keeping the deer out. As soon as the fence was taking shape, I started planning/jumping into landscaping for the front area, the part not in the fence. It includes a slope down to the top of the retaining wall, and southern exposure, very challenging to plant and keep things alive. I did some small terracing with local stone. I moved plants around from my east flower beds, bought a few plants, and my mom gave me some starts from her gardens. There are still empty spaces, and the sedums will have to spread to make it right, but it's a beginning. On the east side of my house the area along the house, including a flower bed and sidewalk the length of the house, was 5-6 inches lower than the grass a couple of feet away. It always felt wrong, and the lowest area of the sidewalk was a mud hole whenever it rained. We had 4 tons of dirt delivered and moved it all with a wheelbarrow to the low area. We built up with dirt on top of the narrow sidewalk and made a path with pavers. The flower bed is now as high as the lawn, and the path is a little higher. I used edgers to define the flower bed, added a layer of cedar mulch, and replanted just a few of the original plants at the new height. The Russian sage and mint I left in place and just built up the dirt around it, so far a success. The area just looks and feels so much better! This month we will plant grass around the pavers and in other bare spots and next year I expect the yard to be an oasis of calm and rest LOL.

Lady sounds like you have been busy! ...and for the record, you made the birthday in time..lol

emysemys said:
Jacqui: I hope you had an enjoyable birthday. Did you notice that the Fairy didn't tell folks how old you are this year?

Hey, I have no age issues. I am 53 and proud of it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.