pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Today is a great day! I got a call last night from a nurse that said with the flu pandemic in full force my kids should not come into the Children's hospital today! My kids are too healthy to go in!! Yay!

In tort news, Sid has been looking so sweet when he sleeps but every time I grab my phone to take a pic he is all awake and grumpy looking! He has been stretching his front legs all the way out and resting his sweet face on one of them.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Can Chewy be sexed yet? Ii am pretty sure it's a boy and he is almost 2.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Today is a great day! I got a call last night from a nurse that said with the flu pandemic in full force my kids should not come into the Children's hospital today! My kids are too healthy to go in!! Yay!

In tort news, Sid has been looking so sweet when he sleeps but every time I grab my phone to take a pic he is all awake and grumpy looking! He has been stretching his front legs all the way out and resting his sweet face on one of them.

Sad for all the folks sick, but glad for you and the kids. I know each time we go into one of the hospitals or Dr's offices, I mentally am willing those germs away. Sad when a non flu person feels the worse place to go for their health is to a hospital/Dr office.

I hate how they move before you can capture those pictures. Or you take a soso shot because your afraid it's going to be the best chance you have and then as the camera is processing that shot, the animal gets into a much better position or look, but by the time the camera is ready again, they move out of it. :(

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Sad for all the folks sick, but glad for you and the kids. I know each time we go into one of the hospitals or Dr's offices, I mentally am willing those germs away. Sad when a non flu person feels the worse place to go for their health is to a hospital/Dr office.

I hate how they move before you can capture those pictures. Or you take a soso shot because your afraid it's going to be the best chance you have and then as the camera is processing that shot, the animal gets into a much better position or look, but by the time the camera is ready again, they move out of it. :(
I am sad for all the kids, and especially the parents, this flu season is scary!!! Because our kids have compromised immune systems they wear mask's in Dr's offices & in the hospital until they get to the ID floor which has kids just like them. We decorate our mask's to get ready for our day at the hospital and when kids and their parents stare I always say its because of theiir amazingly decorated masks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Why do the people stare? Because they are wearing masks or what? For whatever reason it is, the use of reason of looking at those awesome decorated masks is a great idea. When my youngest daughter was in elementary school (not sure which grade it was), one of her classmates died from the flu. :( Since then I treat the flu with a lot more respect.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
Why do the people stare? Because they are wearing masks or what? For whatever reason it is, the use of reason of looking at those awesome decorated masks is a great idea. When my youngest daughter was in elementary school (not sure which grade it was), one of her classmates died from the flu. :( Since then I treat the flu with a lot more respect.
I think they are scared and trying to figure out what these masked kids have. If they only knew that they are the threat to my kids. We met a 8 year old girl that does IVIG between rounds of chemo because she has leukemia. Her mom said that patents and kids switch seats to get away from her child, and that her child gets so excited about come to the Children's hospital because she gets to play with kids. (they board the kids arm with the IV in it and then the kids can pull their IVIG bags and can play during the infusion if they don't feel bad). Anyway, that broke my heart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My mother had polio when she was a young adult. It left her with a paralyzed right leg and she had to walk with crutches. Now, tell me...what's so unusual about seeing a person on crutches? It was embarrassing to see all the people staring at her when we went out anywhere. It got so bad that we would all just stop and stare back at them.

I think its all in how you are brought up. Your parents need to give you the guidelines when you are a youngster...tell you what is acceptable and what isn't. Quite a few parents don't do that.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I agree... I am always telling Rowan not to stare, that it isn't nice... but I see a lot of other kids staring and the parents are just staring right there with them... its amazing how much some things have changed in society over the years.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My personal favorite is the, “that kid is different" prejudice that takes place. Too many kids are left socially challenged because of a perceived difference by the other kids. My mom would set up hanging out time with us kids and the “different" kids and although I may have resented it at times, many ended up being my true thick and thin friends through out my life.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I tell my kids to treat everyone the same. If they are a child and are bald or have a missing arm they still like to play, watch cartoons and laugh at potty humor! My ice breaker is potty humor it's a little naughty but kids can never resist laughing!
I am in the school library supposedly binding books but I am on TFO. I am a terrible volunteer today!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
By the way, Portland is having the Chocolate Fest this weekend at the Convention Center. Personally, I'd take high end chocolate over high end autos any day. And the chocolate is more easily attainable for Karen and myself.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cowboy_Ken said:
By the way, Portland is having the Chocolate Fest this weekend at the Convention Center. Personally, I'd take high end chocolate over high end autos any day. And the chocolate is more easily attainable for Karen and myself.

Somedays I would take high end chocolate over oxygen!! Ok, most day's!!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
how come we dont have chocolate festivals in AZ? between you guys and Yvonne with her milky ways, I am really really craving a chocolate bar!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Lucky we're so cool! Ha!

Getting hay this am. Got to go out to the barn and get things setup for the delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.