problems with substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi everyone. I hope you can help me out. In order to keep up the humidity for my little ones I spray them a lot and now the substrate seems to be wet. Is that bad or does that make the humidity level stay up? To me it seems like I should probably change the substrate but the way it got wet was by the constant mistings with water so I am sure that I will have the same problem. I will be making a new enclosure in a little over a month but until then I don't know if the substrate needs to be changed because it won't be good for the torts. or if it can wait and is there anyway to prevent it from getting wet? I use cypress mulch on the bottom and coco coir on the top. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help. :) Rose:tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The substrate is fine being wet. As long as it's not swimming in water. Wet substrate is how you get humidity up, with heat. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help you understand about getting humidity up and keeping it that way. Now, keep in mind, you will have to adjust to the kind of tort you have.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks for the info. I have read them several times but just noticed how wet their substrate looks in the last pic on the last thread and realized that my substrate looks the same. I guess I can't go wrong copying Tom;)!

By the way, I have three hatchling sulcatas, a little over two months for the first and almost two months for the last two. Thanks again!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.