Question about Vet List...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
I am planning on taking my Indian Star, Taiki, to the vet sometime this next week for a full check-up. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how the Vet List on this site was compiled? What were the qualifying points that led to their recommendation? Were they used by members of the forum and posted because they had a favorable experience and wanted to share that knowledge for people? Or is there some sort of certification that people have to work with tortoises that make them qualified? Just let me know so I can call and make an appointment! lol. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As far as i know the vet list is just a list of vets so when people ask I can't find a vet near me they can refer it. I don't think they had to qualify in any way to be on it, since most probably don't even know of the list (the vets I mean). I could be wrong but that is how I understand it, it is just a reference guide for the person looking for a vet, it falls on the person using the list to decide if the vet sees exotics and such. I hope this helps

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
Ah, ok. So that list doesn't even necessarily mean that they even see tortoises. I will just go back to the vet I visited last time then. Thanks.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tortoiseforum.org compiled the list as a helpful reference tool for tortoise keepers. We do not endorse any of the vets on the list. At the time the list was made, all the listed offices did state that they saw tortoises. However, things change, and it is up to the owner to contact the individual vets to find out what services they provide.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I asked my vet who does not practice on exotics to recommend one for me. It just happened that she recommended my old vet in Austin, who I knew saw exotics, I just didn't want to have to drive the 70 mile round trip. So, I called him and he referred me to the exotic vet in my area. They went to school together and have lunch every week. It just so happened that my new Tort vet has sulies so I am pretty lucky. And he is on the Forum list and had no idea that he was...but welcomed the reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.