Rafiki's first egg!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Proud of Rafiki, her first egg! Not fertilized and I'm not equipped to incubate currently, so I cracked it open for everyone to see what a Redfoot egg looks like. Very thick shell! I'm sure she has more to come. Laid out in the open but digging continues.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463951930.833578.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463951952.393878.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463951965.016926.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463951975.615631.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463951984.966148.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Wow! @cdmay , I think we had the discussion on whether torts were like chickens and would lay eggs without a male present. They do! Interesting to see the size of the yolk vs the what compared to the ratio of yellow/white of a chicken egg. Rafik I is laying at 5? What were the dimensions of the egg? How did you know it was her? I'm so intrigued!

Also with that thick layer and calcium deposits, looks like she was holding on to that egg for a while. That is what my girls's eggs look like if they don't have access to dig a nest. Generally the late clutches when they have to come inside when the temps drop.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Wow! @cdmay , I think we had the discussion on whether torts were like chickens and would lay eggs without a male present. They do! Interesting to see the size of the yolk vs the what compared to the ratio of yellow/white of a chicken egg. Rafik I is laying at 5? What were the dimensions of the egg? How did you know it was her? I'm so intrigued!

Also with that thick layer and calcium deposits, looks like she was holding on to that egg for a while. That is what my girls's eggs look like if they don't have access to dig a nest. Generally the late clutches when they have to come inside when the temps drop.

She's the only one digging so I'm deducing it was her. She has been holding onto that (and probably the remaining) egg(s) for too long! Hard to give her privacy with the other three. I filled a tote with topsoil and coconut coir and will place her in it tomorrow.
When I put her in it tonight she paced and looked at me with disdain.

Any suggestions? I don't want her to get egg bound! She digs daily...

I didn't measure the egg but if more come, I will!

Last edited:

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yep that sure looks like a hyper-calcified egg all right. Oddly, when Darth Maul occasionally produces such eggs she simply drops them without bothering to nest. It's almost as if she knows they're not good.
I've incubated such eggs in the past but can't recall any of them ever hatching.