re-hydration injections ?

Philip Rome

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hi,

I'm taking our new tortoise Philip to the vets tomorrow to be shown how to inject him.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this ? is it easy enough, have you had any success in re-hydrating your tortoise this way ?

Thanks
Philips Mum Mary

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That seems pretty extreme and unnecessary. Why not just soak daily or twice daily for an hour. If the tortoise is so far gone that it needs subQ fluids, then it probably needs to be in the full time care of an experienced tortoise vet.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
That seems pretty extreme and unnecessary. Why not just soak daily or twice daily for an hour. If the tortoise is so far gone that it needs subQ fluids, then it probably needs to be in the full time care of an experienced tortoise vet.

He was a rescue tortoise, so we really don’t know what his history is.

We have been soaking 2-3 times a day for 3 weeks. He’s hasn’t had a poo for 7 days!!!!

The vet is giving us a week then if no improvement we will admit him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree with Tom. I have bad experience with a few of my reptiles and unnecessary vet visits.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When I worked at the Philly Zoo, our curator was also a vet (Kevin Wright) who would engage us on the what and why of the medicine practiced in the reptile house.

So that's the source on the rest of my answer.

Hydration from saline was used as support when animals received any kind of antibiotic, anti-fungal, etc. med, as those meds put strain on the kidneys as the the meds 'clear' the animals' system. You can't count on the animal drinking extra, or more for that purpose.

Anecdote, for a 500 pound Galapagos we would put 5 to 7 two liter bags of saline in. We'd balance him up on a tire, and all find skin soft enough to penetrate with the needle, while one of us distracted him with apple slices or carrots. This was done twice a week.

There are spaces at each place a leg goes into the body where fluids can be injected. Push the plunger slowly, the liquid is displacing tissue, and spreading it apart where no space had been before.

We never hydrated with saline or sterile water unless in combination with meds.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
When I worked at the Philly Zoo, our curator was also a vet (Kevin Wright) who would engage us on the what and why of the medicine practiced in the reptile house.

So that's the source on the rest of my answer.

Hydration from saline was used as support when animals received any kind of antibiotic, anti-fungal, etc. med, as those meds put strain on the kidneys as the the meds 'clear' the animals' system. You can't count on the animal drinking extra, or more for that purpose.

Anecdote, for a 500 pound Galapagos we would put 5 to 7 two liter bags of saline in. We'd balance him up on a tire, and all find skin soft enough to penetrate with the needle, while one of us distracted him with apple slices or carrots. This was done twice a week.

There are spaces at each place a leg goes into the body where fluids can be injected. Push the plunger slowly, the liquid is displacing tissue, and spreading it apart where no space had been before.

We never hydrated with saline or sterile water unless in combination with meds.
Thank you for the information

The vet said she was worried about meds as he’s so dehydrated. After 2 weeks she will do more bloods with a view to add meds once his water is under control.

He is 1.392kg. Up from 1.29kg 2 weeks ago

Need him to poop first I think.

So worrying

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
sometimes it's the only way to rehydrate an animal ......… my opinion is fluid therapy is often the difference between an animal living and dying ……….. I've used sub-q fluids on many sick neonate pups , critically ill dogs , more than a few adult and hatchling turtles , never killed one with it , I believe it aided in saving a bunch though …..personally i'd be hesitant with anything beyond sub-q on a turtle , the other avenues are too invasive for me , I think invasive kills at least as many turtles as it saves …….... just cause they are being soaked doesn't mean they're drinking any more than just because you put food in their face means they're eating , I've found them dehydrated sitting within feet of the pond they lived in ……… dosage is important , it can be overdosed , done properly it'll perk them up , they'll feel better than they actually are ….. you go to a hospital sick as a dog , they hook you up to an iv and you feel better almost instantly …….. your in a hospital hooked up to an iv , you feel pretty good , you get them to let you go , you go home and feel like crap ……….. I doubt you'll find a vet that has a problem with properly administered fluid therapy ……… I've seen folks on here who lost their animals and after reading their struggle I thought they should have tried sub-q fluids ……..

Philip Rome

Hampshire
Well, after a week o fluid injections, Philip has been. Given a further 2 weeks of ‘seeing if he can maintain himself’ before we go back for blood tests.

He appears ‘happy’ in the garden run, mooching about chomping on weeds and grass.

Still no use or inclination to use back legs though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He is probably going to need some theraoy. Try some hydro-therapy to exercise those back legs

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I’m having the same issue with my Russian. At the moment I am syringe feeding critical care formula but it’s not going well. I can get the antibiotic in but not much else, he’s not eating or drinking.
Blood test results are tomorrow so I guess I will find out then.
My vet wants to insert a feeding tube in the neck that goes directly to the stomach. She said that way we know that he is getting liquids and medication. I’ve seen lots of pics with tortoises will the feeding tube. I guess it will depend on the blood results for me whether he can be saved or not.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
I’m having the same issue with my Russian. At the moment I am syringe feeding critical care formula but it’s not going well. I can get the antibiotic in but not much else, he’s not eating or drinking.
My vet wants to insert a feeding tube in the neck that goes directly to the stomach. She said that way we know that he is getting liquids and medication. I’ve seen lots of pics with tortoises will the feeding tube. I guess it will depend on the blood results for me whether he can be saved or not.

Sorry to here your little one is poorly,it’s so worrying.. fingers crossed that the blood tests show positive signs or can give an idea on how to treat.

Our Philip had really high uric acid scores..... 760 when should be 300 ish..... I’m hoping when we go back in 2 weeks this will be much lower.

Let us know how you get on
Xx

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hydro therapy?? What do you suggest? How do you do it ??

Mary
Several members have used hydro-therapy to great success, I think @wellington can help. Basically you put the tortoise in some water holding the tortoise so it uses it's legs & gets exercise

lymcBoris

Scotland
Oh no! So sorry to hear this. When did your little tort fall ill? I hope he recovers very soon. You put so much into caring for your life vely little tortoise. All the very best wishes. X

lymcBoris

Scotland
Oh no! So sorry to hear this. When did your little tort fall ill? I hope he recovers very soon. You put so much into caring for your life vely little tortoise. All the very best wishes. X
I meant to say " your lovely little tortoise" but predictive text says otherwise. Hope all goes well.

lymcBoris

Scotland
Sadly he has got to be PTS as he has irreparable kidney damage.
Oh no I'm so, so sorry! That's really awful. Do you have any idea what's happened to him and how he got ill? I've not been on the forum for a while.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Oh no I'm so, so sorry! That's really awful. Do you have any idea what's happened to him and how he got ill? I've not been on the forum for a while.

He was probably raised too dry, he was passing gritty urates when I got him so I suspect he was dehydrated already. It can take a long while for it to show how it has but once damaged there is no going back. I’m very sad but he looks very sick

lymcBoris

Scotland
He was probably raised too dry, he was passing gritty urates when I got him so I suspect he was dehydrated already. It can take a long while for it to show how it has but once damaged there is no going back. I’m very sad but he looks very sick
I am so sad for you and your beautiful little tortoise. You really gave him the very best chance of survival. He was very lucky that you took him home and gave him the time that he had in the best home. I'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to him