Reaction to substrate change

lmartin999

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, ON
So cute. My little adopted girl (who I do need to rehome at some point) is so incredible. Generally she will run for a (small) treat of a bit of fruit or even a head scratch when I call her and she sees my hand. Very mellow. Yesterday I changed her substrate, so she was in the bath for a bit and then back in her refurbished home. For a few hours she was so grumpy. She would run to me, but then the only interest was headbutting me. Which for a 5 inch tortoise is quite entertaining. Lots of stomping around. Then she calmed and all was good again. A good night's sleep, dug down into new substrate and she is so mellow and looking for treats.

They really don't like change though....LOL

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So cute. My little adopted girl (who I do need to rehome at some point) is so incredible. Generally she will run for a (small) treat of a bit of fruit or even a head scratch when I call her and she sees my hand. Very mellow. Yesterday I changed her substrate, so she was in the bath for a bit and then back in her refurbished home. For a few hours she was so grumpy. She would run to me, but then the only interest was headbutting me. Which for a 5 inch tortoise is quite entertaining. Lots of stomping around. Then she calmed and all was good again. A good night's sleep, dug down into new substrate and she is so mellow and looking for treats.

They really don't like change though....LOL
They don't like feeling like they're not in their own territory.
Change can confuse them.
Be careful with the fruit. Your tortoise can not process sugars.

lmartin999

Toronto, ON
They don't like feeling like they're not in their own territory.
Change can confuse them.
Be careful with the fruit. Your tortoise can not process sugars.
I know, I would never change without good reason, but the substrate needed changing. And yes, I agree re fruit. she gets tiny amounts every so often, less than 1% of diet. But thanks, I appreciate the reminder for all of us. I only ever want to do the best for her :)