Red Foot Substrates?

Kenzi W

Hi! I am looking to find a different substrate for my red footed tortoise. I have been using coconut fiber but it gets his food and water really dirty. I have heard topsoil and playground sand are good? I'm worried it might get into his eyes or something!
Just looking for some recommendations......
Thanks in advance!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sand would be even messier IMHO,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to sound like a jerk, but any substrate makes a mess, I think what you are currently using is one of the best, maybe large orchid bark might be cleaner.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I use a mix of coir and cypress mulch. Still a little messy, but nothing like it was with straight coir. Been thinking about switching to orchid bark just to try it, seem kind of splintery though

Kenzi W

I used cypress mulch for the longest time because a sales person at the pet store recommended it. I had trouble keeping the humidity up with my red foot. Its great for Russians tho! I think I'm going to try orchids bark! Thanks everyone!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Using the shredded cypress mulch has made keeping humidity constant much easier than with the chunky type. I found it at WalMart.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Shredded cypress mulch is my definite favorite. Never have had issues maintaining humidity with it, in fact it's always worked better then other substrates for me.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use 100% organic peat moss for my box turtle. Nothing mixed into it. I like it so much better than coco coir and it's so much cheaper too.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I heard sand can cause impaction, so it's not recommended with torts. I use coco coir myself, and yes my redfoot is always dirty :) I put his food on a tile, but he sometimes still drags it into the substrate... For the water bowl I bought a fake grass tile, cut a circle from the middle and put the water bowl in. Stays much cleaner that way. You could also put some rocks around it or use a plastic or wooden tile for this.
My water bowl when it was still work in progress: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424458757.529395.jpg