Red foot tortoise substrate

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
I think they’re both the same. One is already broken up and loose, the other is a brick you have to soak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The 100 watt CHE, the timer, the ceramic based clamp fixture (but don't use the clamp feature, hang it), the Repti Calcium, the eco earth.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Literally almost none of this stuff is recommended. Have you read any of the links people have posted for you? Get a thermometer/humidity gauge at home Depot. As well as a bag of Cypress mulch for substrate. The under tank heater aren't good for torts and neither are the coil bulbs, and the clamp lamps are known to fail. Don't use those water dishes they're flip hazards. Get a terrocata dish from the store. You can get a ceramic heat emitter from eBay or Amazon much cheaper than that one.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use Cypress peat moss covered by Cypress mulch.

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc
Literally almost none of this stuff is recommended. Have you read any of the links people have posted for you? Get a thermometer/humidity gauge at home Depot. As well as a bag of Cypress mulch for substrate. The under tank heater aren't good for torts and neither are the coil bulbs, and the clamp lamps are known to fail. Don't use those water dishes they're flip hazards. Get a terrocata dish from the store. You can get a ceramic heat emitter from eBay or Amazon much cheaper than that one.
This stuff was recommended by zoo med

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'm a proponent of the use of ZooMed natural forest food, yes I sell it, but I use it with red-foots and they are doing okay as it's their whole meal one day a week now. I added some at first at a very low % of the total diet offered, but now they will come and eat it all, as an alternative to chopping produce.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But what if I get a zoo med tortoise house
The Zoo Med Tortoise House is deffinitely NOT good for a RF tortoise. The RF tortoise requires a moist/humid environment which cannot be achieved in an open--topped tortoise table. Also, the moist substrate would rot the wood.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Ok. Then show me the right pics of the products
Thought you were wanting a Hermann's? Now it's a Redfoot? Here's what I highly recommend:

1. Decide on a species. Hermann's and Redfoots/Cherry Heads require different care. You'll confuse yourself if you're trying to research both. Pick which one you want and focus on the care for it exclusively.

2. Just about all the products and posters you've provided in your posts are bad. You're hunting on the internet and Facebook and acquiring wrong information and bringing it to us. We have provided you with links to care sheets and correct information already. Read the information we have provided to you, which already saves you the time from researching on your own from the incorrect and outdated internet. Everything you need to know is right here in this Forum.

3. Once you've picked a species and studied its proper care, start putting together a proper habitat for it. You'll need a spacious enclosure, substrate, lights, CHE lamp, water dish, food dish, a humid hide, etc.

4. After you have a correct and proper environment ready, save up and buy your tortoise. Then it will have a nice home ready for when it arrives.

Feel free to ask us any questions you have. We're here to help you and are doing the best we can, but you've got to listen to our advice and recommendations. Tortoises are our passion and we have a lot of experience.

cheers2lizzie

Miami, FL

I second this on the "water dish", which was learned from experience. One of those was given to me and I am so glad I caught Hebe right after she flipped. I had walked in the kitchen to get her greens and when I came back she was on her back. Scared the crap out of me and we switched to a terracota saucer that day. Whew..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A storage tote would only be good for a hatchling or really young Tort. I used the Iris Xmas tree tote for my juvenile. You might have a hard time finding one at this time of year though. For my current hatchling im using a 34"L 18"W 13" H Sterilite storage container. IMG_20190308_131136730.jpg