Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
An acceptable indoor enclosure:

Candy's pix a.jpg Candy's pix b.jpg Candy's pix c.jpg Candy's pix d.jpg Candy's pix e.jpg

An unacceptable indoor enclosure:

10 gallon aquarium.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc
@Yvonne G Do you think we should combine all this OP's threads into one? She starts a new one every day now, asking about different supplies for a Redfoot. I think one thread would help her to keep better track of what advice we give to her, and not confuse the rest of us with so many new threads.
Yeah sorry

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So reading through some of your post I can see your SUPER excited to obtain a forever friend! Which is wonderful!!!!!!

But, you should remember setting up for your forever friend takes time and energy and a lot of money. Nothing feels worse than bringing home an animal, and realizing you were under prepared and somehow it ends up dead.

You don't want to lay awake at night thinking to yourself, am I providing enough food? Is it the right food? Because different species requires totally different diets.

Is it warm enough? Does my pet have the right hot/ambient/cool temps? Does it get too cold at night?!? Remember these little loves are cold blooded. They rely completely on their environment for their heat. Without proper temps they cannot digest their food. So they do not get any nutrition, and get constipated. And it doesn't make any sense why your tort isn't doing all the fun stuff everyone's is doing.

Or dont forget about UVB, again. It is a reptile and has different needs than mammals, that just don't make sense but are needed.

So in the wisdom I was given, d ont rush this. Don't buy the smallest, or the cheapest. Keep researching!! Stay on the forum. Forums tend to have the best advice and the most information, and ppl willing to answer your questions!!

You should get your forever friend! But remember your forever friend is a reptile, and reptiles REQUIRE different habitats. They are not quite evolved to live outside their native habitats. So as their caretakers it's our responsibility to provide a piece of their native habitats as homes.

Take time! No need to rush!!!

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc
Hey guys I'm willing to take any advice from anyone who will comment on this post. I'm ready to learn all about the care of a tortoise and what it needs. [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji217] [emoji217] [emoji217]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
First you have to decide what species best suits your circumstances, space and climate.
There are caresheets for most species here that will tell you all about their diets, temp, humidity, substrate etc and will help you decide.
Different species have different needs, so read and research then ask questions.
Also check rescue centres for torts that need new homes, older torts still need a lot of the correct care but can be more forgiving of mistakes made in the short term.

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc
First you have to decide what species best suits your circumstances, space and climate.
There are caresheets for most species here that will tell you all about their diets, temp, humidity, substrate etc and will help you decide.
Different species have different needs, so read and research then ask questions.
Also check rescue centres for torts that need new homes, older torts still need a lot of the correct care but can be more forgiving of mistakes made.
I was thinking about leaning towards Herman's or red foot tortoise.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Once you decide what species you want, you need to read, then re-read, the TFO caresheets on that species ... at that point you might have some questions.

Until then, you haven't done your end of the work associated with picking a tortoise to live with you.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
After doing a bunch of research and reading, I decided on a redfoot tortoise, and love living with Darwin, who came to live with me this summer.

J

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G Do you think we should combine all this OP's threads into one? She starts a new one every day now, asking about different supplies for a Redfoot. I think one thread would help her to keep better track of what advice we give to her, and not confuse the rest of us with so many new threads.
I've been combining on a daily basis.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hey guys I'm willing to take any advice from anyone who will comment on this post. I'm ready to learn all about the care of a tortoise and what it needs. [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji217] [emoji217] [emoji217]
One habit you need to stop doing is finding information on Facebook and the internet and posting it in here. We already have all the information right in here that you need, and we've shared it with you. The internet is full of bad information and taking links and photos from Facebook groups without their permission is not allowed. Stick with what we've shared with you in this Forum.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I was thinking about leaning towards Herman's or red foot tortoise.
I know that I've already shared this, but it's worth sharing again:

1. Decide on a species. Hermann's and Redfoots/Cherry Heads require different care. You'll confuse yourself if you're trying to research both. Pick which one you want and focus on the care for it exclusively.

2. Just about all the products and posters you've provided in your posts are bad. You're hunting on the internet and Facebook and acquiring wrong information and bringing it to us. We have provided you with links to care sheets and correct information already. Read the information we have provided to you, which already saves you the time from researching on your own from the incorrect and outdated internet. Everything you need to know is right here in this Forum.

3. Once you've picked a species and studied its proper care, start putting together a proper habitat for it. You'll need a spacious enclosure, substrate, lights, CHE lamp, water dish, food dish, a humid hide, etc.

4. After you have a correct and proper environment ready, save up and buy your tortoise. Then it will have a nice home ready for when it arrives.

So the very first thing on your list is to pick which tortoise you want, and I don't recommend rushing that decision. A tortoise, if well taken care of, will live for many years which makes this a lifetime commitment.

Tigerlilyfoxfire

SC
A storage tote would only be good for a hatchling or really young Tort. I used the Iris Xmas tree tote for my juvenile. You might have a hard time finding one at this time of year though. For my current hatchling im using a 34"L 18"W 13" H Sterilite storage container. View attachment 266747

Do you ever put the lid on to keep the humidity up?