Red foot tortoise substrate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It depends upon the size of the tortoise. A hatchling could probably live in a shoe box for a bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What do you want? Get what you want, not what someone tells you to get.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would go with something bigger to start. The smaller you go with the sooner your going to have to get something else bigger.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
For my Greek and Russian hatchlings, I started with a Husky heavy-duty 54-gallon tote. I cut the lid to install the lights and be able to keep it as an enclosed habitat to maintain a "hot and humid" environment. They are available at Home Depot.

These totes lasted about 5-6 months until my hatchlings grew enough to need more space. Then I built them 4x3 tortoise tables that they are currently in.husky-grey-husky-storage-bins-235599-64_1000.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I plan on getting a tortoise play pen
What is a Tortoise playpen? Your going to need something at least 8x4 for an adult Redfoot and even that is on the small side in my opinion. Your all ready stating your bedroom is not big enough for a large tote enclosure. A tortoise can live many years and is a lifetime commitment. You can't do it as cheaply as possible, it's not fair to the animal. When you take one on your are responsible for that Tortoises life. I've read a lot of your posts and there kind of all over the place. You don't seem to be taking the advice of experienced people here when they give it. I really feel like you should think a little more about whether a tortoise is the right pet for you, or wait till your prepared to provide everything one will need.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Seems like also you need to do a lot more reading. Even after reading almost all info available, I find myself rereading again and again... over and over. I’m still a newb. The questions you’re asking are very basic info that can be had from more research.

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc
For my Greek and Russian hatchlings, I started with a Husky heavy-duty 54-gallon tote. I cut the lid to install the lights and be able to keep it as an enclosed habitat to maintain a "hot and humid" environment. They are available at Home Depot.

These totes lasted about 5-6 months until my hatchlings grew enough to need more space. Then I built them 4x3 tortoise tables that they are currently in.View attachment 266748
Is this ok. bedffe14-54b6-4089-a575-8b14f1dfe1eb_1.b8f88646e35ae935e0a61fb0a58a61b4.jpeg

Renee2019

Buffalo, sc

These totes lasted about 5-6 months until my hatchlings grew enough to need more space. Then I built them 4x3 tortoise tables that they are currently in.View attachment 266748
This is okbedffe14-54b6-4089-a575-8b14f1dfe1eb_1.b8f88646e35ae935e0a61fb0a58a61b4.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I really don’t think you are anywhere near ready to have a tortoise. They need space to live and roam, it is a rather expensive hobby to get into. You are trying todo this cheap and are not listening to any advice given to you. We can not make the decisions for you. Read what you were told to read. If you don’t understand that, you are not ready. This may sound harsh but it is for the torts sake.