Redfoot tortoise help

Julie27

Location (City and/or State)
Scotalnd
Okay try this again .I have uvb tube and camatic think u call it black heater light on a thermostat. Is that okay for day and night or do you need a spot light to .another question is thermostat what's best setting for that .Next I have soil bark moss and stones in encloser .water bowl plants and hook on temp and humidity reader .is there anything I am missing also have cutterfish bone and calum powered .give him veg fruit and egg chicken .he is 4 years old and was wondering is it okay bath every day or just 2 week .also how often do u wet your encloser and is it just a spray down light I do day night .but should I spray his moss bed as don't want it get to wet for going sleep .hope u understand all that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF don't really bask. A ceramic heat emitter can be used day and night. The tube fluorescent for uvb is correct.
The temp should be held around 80-84. Putting the che on a thermostat will turn the che off and on as needed to keep the correct temps.
Moss should not be used, they like to eat it and it causes impactions.
A four year old needs a big enclosure. Post pics of the tortoise and enclosure.
Only you will know how often the enclosure needs to be watered. Spraying it is not good. RF get shell rot easily from being on wet substrate. Putting warm water into the corners will wet the bottom layer of substrate and keep the top dry.
@ZEROPILOT can help more.

Julie27

Scotalnd
Thanks I will pour water in corners I do have the thermostat attached to the bulb .set cut off when gets to hot .all videos I watched said put moss in the hide so went got some as never used it before

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks I will pour water in corners I do have the thermostat attached to the bulb .set cut off when gets to hot .all videos I watched said put moss in the hide so went got some as never used it before
Forgot all information you learned any where but here.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
How often do u bath rf he is 4 now
You can do it once a week or every other. Just depending on how dirty the tortoise is getting. You just got to make sure the shell stays healthy and it doesn't get shell rot or any other fungus issues

Julie27

Scotalnd
Okay thank you will do a complete shell cheak 2m again and cut back on baths I think I over bath him been doing daily as I thought had to be bathed each day

Julie27

Scotalnd
You can do it once a week or every other. Just depending on how dirty the tortoise is getting. You just got to make sure the shell stays healthy and it doesn't get shell rot or any other fungus issues
Quick question should u have a dome on his cematic builb if so what's the best one so many on line e27 one

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Quick question should u have a dome on his cematic builb if so what's the best one so many on line e27 one
I personally don't use one in my enclosure. That's not to say it's not needed. It depends on the enclosure. The things to be aware of when getting a dome are the depth of the dome and under no circumstances do you ever use the clamp mount that comes on so many of them. That is a 100% no, the clamp usually fails to hold the light then your tortoise ends up with serious injuries. If you could provide some pictures of the enclosure I could better direct you on the dome to get and or the mounting bracket

Last edited: