Regarding Oxalis

NessiesNoob

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
When I first did a search on this plant, more pointedly Ground or Wood Sorrel, I found a site that said it was safe. But I did another search and found someone saying it was toxic to tortoises, so I did some more digging. From what I can gather, the toxicity has to do with the oxalates binding with calcium and 'making it unusable'. Now my question would be: For how long are we talking about? I take my tortoises out once or twice a week and there is no where in my yard that I can set their portable pen that doesn't have oxalis. My youngest seems to be really attracted to the plant as well. If I give them calcium powder on, let's say, Thursdays and take them outside on Saturdays, would they have time to process the calcium enough that the UVB lights and sun can convert it, or would the oxalates from four days prior still be at work in their systems?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You need to find or make a space with no oxalis. Eating some one time isn't going to kill a tortoise, but eating it on a regular basis, and eating large amounts of it can cause a problem.

Its not that hard to clear an area. It grows in clumps and you can pull the root out. I can clear a 4x8' area in 20-30 minutes all by myself.