Rehoming a Sulcata

Mimes

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hello,

My name is Sharon and I'm looking to rehome my 4 year old male Sulcata. I live in Massachusetts and don't feel it's fair to keep him indoors 6 months out of the year due to our winters.

We have a large unfinished basement that we always intended on using for winter care. Last year we had him in a 10' X 10' enclosure down there but that is not big enough for this winter. If we were to keep him, this would be the time we would start building him something that would be large enough to take him into whatever size he becomes. I am lucky enough to have a husband that's willing to build him anything he needs but we have also been discussing whether it's really in his best interest to stay with us. He is not a tortoise that slows down for the winter. He walked the perimeter of his enclosure last winter and spent many days climbing the walls to get out. Other than spending time under the heat or UVB lamps, he was always on the move.

He has about a 1/2 acre fenced in area in the summer where he spends his time eating and moving. He will bask in the sun or hide in a favorite bush also but will mostly be found walking about. From October through March, he loses that.

He's 46 lbs and in great condition. Personality wise, you could not get better. He does not live with kids but has been around them here and there. We have always supervised children around him so he has not had a bad experience with them. Or with anyone for that matter. He was raised with 2 German Shepherds in the house and no bad experience there either. To our surprise, he hasn't dug at all.

We would really like to see him in a climate where he can spend more time of year outside. This decision is not made lightly; we love him dearly.

If anyone is interested, please reach out to me. We are willing to drive him to the right home.

IMG_9399.jpegIMG_9154.jpegIMG_8321.jpegSomeone will be getting a gem of a tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's beautiful. Too bad you didn't think of that before getting him. I know, so many don't unfortunately. But it seems you do have the room to keep him, should that end up being the case.
Just an FYI. Many live in the colder northern snowy states. They have a big heated, insulated shed for winter. On those days that the sun is out and little to no snow on the ground, they are let out of their heated shed to roam around if they please. Many have the option every day, snow or not. Not the most ideal locations but it can be done as long as they have the warm shed to go back to or stay in.
Otherwise @EppsDynasty in CA might be able to help if all else fails.

Mimes

MA
He's beautiful. Too bad you didn't think of that before getting him. I know, so many don't unfortunately. But it seems you do have the room to keep him, should that end up being the case.
Just an FYI. Many live in the colder northern snowy states. They have a big heated, insulated shed for winter. On those days that the sun is out and little to no snow on the ground, they are let out of their heated shed to roam around if they please. Many have the option every day, snow or not. Not the most ideal locations but it can be done as long as they have the warm shed to go back to or stay in.
Otherwise @EppsDynasty in CA might be able to help if all else fails.
I can‘t argue with your statement. I thought having the room and means would be enough. I didn’t expect to feel this way about him spending winters indoors.

Although I had seen many people use an insulated shed for winter, I wasn’t aware he could roam outside in the colder weather. That really changes how I’m looking at this. We had a generator wired in when we got him so we would not have an issue with keeping him warm in the event of a power loss. I‘m guessing we can have the electrical in the shed buried and tied into that. Something we can explore and actually a much better option than losing a large area of the basement.

I expected someone might say “too bad you didn’t think of that before getting him” and it’s not something I hadn’t already said to myself many times. However, I didn’t think I would get an option to rehoming and really appreciate your reply. It really changes everything. Keeping him is our first choice. This is a fabulous forum and a great source of information.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is an option. Not the very best option, but we all can't and don't want to live where it never gets too cold. Actually even those places get cold. Some areas get way to hot and that's a problem.
It's something to consider.

Mimes

MA
It is an option. Not the very best option, but we all can't and don't want to live where it never gets too cold. Actually even those places get cold. Some areas get way to hot and that's a problem.
It's something to consider.
It’s a great option. The summers in MA are perfect for him. As long as I can get him out during the winter I won’t feel his quality of life is suffering. I know he will outlive me but intended on keeping him until our old age. And likely now will.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Although I had seen many people use an insulated shed for winter, I wasn’t aware he could roam outside in the colder weather.
Your initial feelings are well founded, and moving him somewhere with a better climate will be better for him.

People do let them roam in the cold, but its not good for them and it should not be done. I cringe when I see pics of sulcata walking in the snow. This is not natural and in no way safe or good for the tortoise. I would not consider this an option. Some other people would.

There is simply no practical way to house this species in an area with a frozen winter. A billionaire could certainly build a giant, 10,000 sq. ft., floor heated, insulated, artificially "sunny", tortoise warehouse for winter, with a built-in automated back-up diesel generator, but I can't afford something like that. Can you? Letting the tortoise out to walk in the snow is not the solution.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Different opinions will happen here, but there are many being raised in the colder areas.
The best option would have been breeders not selling them to the colder areas, but greed took over. They are now all over and if you do have the room and means it can be done.
@Len B has some pictures of them in the winter.

Mimes

MA
Thank you for your input. Though hopeful after hearing it was an option, I ultimately want to see him in the best situation. If that’s not me, then I must accept that. I certainly cannot afford an indoor area the size I would like to see him in. A shed was a good option but still really not the size I feel he needs. 10’ x 10’ is not going to be big enough this winter and I can only imagine a shed sized for his full size would be a massive expense.

Is there a specific area of the country that you would recommend as having a good climate for him?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Not much snow here at all where I'm at in Arkansas. We do get some from time to time. Anywhere from a light dusting to a few inches. It never lasts for long though I think the longest was a week.

I made a heated night box, a shed would be better for your area but how adding a green house to keep snow out of more space and a little heater maybe to the green house. I'll be adding the green house and heater to give mine more space for the little bit that gets really cold here.

Mimes

MA
Different opinions will happen here, but there are many being raised in the colder areas.
The best option would have been breeders not selling them to the colder areas, but greed took over. They are now all over and if you do have the room and means it can be done.
@Len B has some pictures of them in the winter.
I’ll take a look at those pictures. It’s a tough decision and one I will definitely be putting more thought into. I appreciate different perspectives. Forums are good for that.

I‘m glad I found this site shortly after getting him. There’s a difference of opinion on many topics but I was able to weed through them to make a decision. His health is due large in part to all that I gathered here. It certainly wasn’t from Facebook sites listening to the self claimed “experts”.

Mimes

MA
Not much snow here at all where I'm at in Arkansas. We do get some from time to time. Anywhere from a light dusting to a few inches. It never lasts for long though I think the longest was a week.

I made a heated night box, a shed would be better for your area but how adding a green house to keep snow out of more space and a little heater maybe to the green house. I'll be adding the green house and heater to give mine more space for the little bit that gets really cold here.
We have a 4’ x 8’ (I think) insulated box for him. Bigger than he needs for sleeping but much smaller than what he would require for winter. A greenhouse around it would be good but still cold I would think.

Your climate is much better than mine for winters. MA has been mild the last few winters but it can vary so much from year to year. Single digit temps are not uncommon most winters. The snow is all over the place as well. Last winter, not much at all. But several feet on the ground all winter can also happen.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Mimes ..... It sounds like you have a genuine care for your animal, to think of "How can he's life be better" is a real act of selflessness. About the cold; @Tom in my opinion is right about "Deep snow", I do not think it is fair to make a Sulcata walk in snow that is over a few inches. If you have to "Shovel off" an area so your tort can walk that's a little much (in my opinion). Yes there are Sulcatas in the snow but that is just survival and in no way anything Natural. Can an Elephant walk through the snow?
Of course but does that mean it's ok to house one in the snow? I think you are on the right track taking all of that into consideration and No One can make that decision for you, it's all up to you. There are things that can be done to minimize cold exposure but you'll never be able to eliminate it. And as said there are real dangers of him getting too cold or stranded in the snow which would really be a kick in the head (I'm sure you would feel terrible).
My wife and I have a Nonprofit Tortoise and Turtle Haven in CA named Joshua Tree Reptile Haven. You can look us up on YouTube or our website JoshuaTreeReptileHaven.org Your dilemma is 1 of our main focuses, Homes for large Sulcatas. When these wonderful creatures get big some find it too difficult to house them or just something they didn't expect. We help ANY tortoise ANYWHERE, it's kinda becoming our slogan. We are always available for any help we can offer. Large torts are shipped all over the world everyday, so it's not impossible just a little effort. We will be building 2 large (1+ acre) enclosures to keep Sulcatas in groups, 1 male and 1 female pen. Right now we have 3 males in separate pens but once we have enough for a group that's what will be done. We have individual pens for those that just won't be able to get along with others. If you have ANY questions please contact us either here on the forum or website and even our phone #.

Mimes

MA
@Mimes ..... It sounds like you have a genuine care for your animal, to think of "How can he's life be better" is a real act of selflessness. About the cold; @Tom in my opinion is right about "Deep snow", I do not think it is fair to make a Sulcata walk in snow that is over a few inches. If you have to "Shovel off" an area so your tort can walk that's a little much (in my opinion). Yes there are Sulcatas in the snow but that is just survival and in no way anything Natural. Can an Elephant walk through the snow?
Of course but does that mean it's ok to house one in the snow? I think you are on the right track taking all of that into consideration and No One can make that decision for you, it's all up to you. There are things that can be done to minimize cold exposure but you'll never be able to eliminate it. And as said there are real dangers of him getting too cold or stranded in the snow which would really be a kick in the head (I'm sure you would feel terrible).
My wife and I have a Nonprofit Tortoise and Turtle Haven in CA named Joshua Tree Reptile Haven. You can look us up on YouTube or our website JoshuaTreeReptileHaven.org Your dilemma is 1 of our main focuses, Homes for large Sulcatas. When these wonderful creatures get big some find it too difficult to house them or just something they didn't expect. We help ANY tortoise ANYWHERE, it's kinda becoming our slogan. We are always available for any help we can offer. Large torts are shipped all over the world everyday, so it's not impossible just a little effort. We will be building 2 large (1+ acre) enclosures to keep Sulcatas in groups, 1 male and 1 female pen. Right now we have 3 males in separate pens but once we have enough for a group that's what will be done. We have individual pens for those that just won't be able to get along with others. If you have ANY questions please contact us either here on the forum or website and even our phone #.
EppsDynasty,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I will definitely look at your sites. It sounds like something I would be interested in. I want to do right by him and really don’t think wintering him inside is that. I actually felt cruel last winter seeing him climbing the walls trying to get out. Although we are in summer now and he is happy and thriving, winter is around the corner.

In talking to my husband last night, we were very nervous about having him walk outside in the cold. The risk of accidental death too high. Fire risk was also a concern.

In rehoming, we would only do it if we felt he would be in a better situation than our home. As described, yours seems just that. I‘m sure I will be connecting with you again.

ryan57

PA
"If you have to "Shovel off" an area so your tort can walk that's a little much"

Heated greenhouse (-w- appropriate barrier of course) or a tarp over the yard works well in southern PA to deal with the snow. Massachusetts may be a challenge if all the grass dies because of the cold. Something to consider: If it is 60 degrees and sunny, and the tortoise is in the sun, I'm measuring between 85-90 degrees on the carapace so 25-30 degrees above ambient is real world if it is sunny.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
We built a 8' x 16' shed in Pennsylvania last year for out 110+ lb male sulcata:

It's not as big as I would have liked but it was as big as we could go with the layout of the property. It had no problem maintaining 84F even when outdoor temperatures dropped into the teens.

Mimes

MA
We built a 8' x 16' shed in Pennsylvania last year for out 110+ lb male sulcata:

It's not as big as I would have liked but it was as big as we could go with the layout of the property. It had no problem maintaining 84F even when outdoor temperatures dropped into the teens.
How did he do in it? I would think mine would feel the walls are closing in on him.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How did he do in it? I would think mine would feel the walls are closing in on him.

By February he was climbing the walls a bit, but we didn't get a proper fence installed until May so I wasn't able to give him free access to the yard as I would have liked.