Reproduction cycle.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all.

I had a redfoot lay a clutch of 5 eggs November 2015. She is now digging another nest.
What is considered the norm on the amount of clutches per yr?
Do females come into season like a dog would?
I thought the laying process was a seasonal thing for wild torts, if so how do they hold sperm but not produce eggs all year round?

Thanks.

Craig.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi all.

I had a redfoot lay a clutch of 5 eggs November 2015. She is now digging another nest.
What is considered the norm on the amount of clutches per yr?
Do females come into season like a dog would?
I thought the laying process was a seasonal thing for wild torts, if so how do they hold sperm but not produce eggs all year round?

Thanks.

Craig.
The oviduct is similar to the ovaries of mammals. However they don't drop eggs every 22-30 days like most primates and humans. The oviduct has what are called follicles. These are hair like membranes that will devlop over time and then become a developed egg then dropped. During the development of th follicle is when the embryo holds the sperm etc.. It's not like the egg is inside and then the insemination occurs and penetrates the egg. The egg develops without the shell and outer most membrane at the final stages and then is released(clutch laid) obviously every species is different. Redfoots and Yellowfoots tend to be one of the oddest cycled animals(in my opinion). It's quite random for them. But given the habitats in which they derive from it makes sense. They have no winters in the northern regions of South America. Just wet seasons and dry seasons. During both seasons egg laying can still prove successful. However during the wet season the chance of survival is limited. But over time with captive kept specimens they can alter the cycle based on chances of survival. Hope That helps a little.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The oviduct is similar to the ovaries of mammals. However they don't drop eggs every 22-30 days like most primates and humans. The oviduct has what are called follicles. These are hair like membranes that will devlop over time and then become a developed egg then dropped. During the development of th follicle is when the embryo holds the sperm etc.. It's not like the egg is inside and then the insemination occurs and penetrates the egg. The egg develops without the shell and outer most membrane at the final stages and then is released(clutch laid) obviously every species is different. Redfoots and Yellowfoots tend to be one of the oddest cycled animals(in my opinion). It's quite random for them. But given the habitats in which they derive from it makes sense. They have no winters in the northern regions of South America. Just wet seasons and dry seasons. During both seasons egg laying can still prove successful. However during the wet season the chance of survival is limited. But over time with captive kept specimens they can alter the cycle based on chances of survival. Hope That helps a little.
Thanks Kelly.
Howmany clutches is typical amongst your reds/yellows per year, or is this vastly different within your captive females?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I have a boat load of wild collected. But also have some F2 and F3 adults too. It varies. Especially recently over the past 2-3 years. Lots of remodeling and moving them around, when they're settles they seem to lay whenever they want. But typically it's consistent every 3-8 weeks then a pause for a good 10-13 weeks during summer(hottest part) most Equatorial species are inactive during the hottest dry season. Kinda backwards from winter hibernating species. I've received clutches yearly from Yellowfoots that vary from 2 eggs to 12 egg clutches. Redfoots are just all over the place from 2-9 To clutches.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just re-read your post.
Is the development of the follicles a constant on going process or is the 10 to 13 week period(you see) a period where no follicles are developing?
If there is a period with no follicle development, does this mean they can't hold sperm at this stage?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
that I wouldn't feel comfortable answering as it would be a guess. I'd imagine that the sperm is held in the oviduct and or on the follicles and when the ova develops from follicular to ova(egg) is when all the components create a fertile embryo. But I'm just guessing at that part.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
that I wouldn't feel comfortable answering as it would be a guess. I'd imagine that the sperm is held in the oviduct and or on the follicles and when the ova develops from follicular to ova(egg) is when all the components create a fertile embryo. But I'm just guessing at that part.
OK, had time to think about and digest your info. I'm back for another question. :D

Lets say the female is producing a clutch of 4 eggs. Is she capable of producing all 4 eggs from the developing follicles at once, or does she develop each egg one at a time until the clutch is complete then lay? If its one at a time I assume there is (putting it crudely) a holding chamber.