Reptar!

BlueEyedAngel

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX
I am going to be using this thread to follow the life of our sulcata tortoise, Reptar, that we will be getting on May 16th. Months of research and preparations for our new family member have taken place already, We are very excited.

Here is what we have for starters....

Housing:
50g grey rubbermaid tub, Majority of lid cut out replaced with 1/2in metal mesh/wire on top to keep lighting/heating safely up top. (Non-coil bulbs)
Placed in spare bedroom/ office for peace, quiet and safety from the dogs. In front of large window for extra warmth on hot Texas days as well as some added UV light even if small amount.
Substrate is a mix of organic peat moss and ZooMed Coconut Coir for moisture (also have new spray bottles for misting,
Three types of dishes to see which one Reptar will like most...clay plant bottom, ceramic tortoise "bowl", and a plastic plant bottom.
A nice square pavestone that will be placed under the basking light to allow for awesome basking area (can be removed if gets too warm, or Reptar doesnt like it).
Live Bermuda grass patches planted along some edges of tub, as well as a small aloe related succulent.

Food:
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Feed
Timothy
Bermuda grass (grown organic in special containers specifically for Reptar to allow for easy clippings of fresh grass)
A variety of weeds including but not limited to clovers, dandelions, wild onions and more.
Organically grown plants for leaves, flowers, and/or fruits depending on the plant:
Yellow squash
Cucumber
Zucchini
Hibiscus
Basil
Collards
Kale
Flower that starts with P, forget what its called, but not pansy.
Crimson watermelon
Strawberry
Bean plants
Aloes (3 kinds)
Cilantro
Arctic King Lettuce
Fuchsia
Okra
Parsley
Salvia
and more!!!

Sunning & Soaking:
Beige dish tub for daily soakings
Low rise tub that will be full of peat moss and basic needs for sunning outside for comfortable UV absorption.
Also have cuttlebones for Reptar to enjoy.

We will be attending the Lonestar Reptile Expo to obtain our new baby from a reputable dealer, already confirmed sulcatas will be there.

Not sure if we will get a male or female, shooting for a female though. Regardless of sex, Reptar is already named. lol

Pictures once everything is ready for our baby, and again when our baby is here and growth updates of course.

Thank you to everyone on the forum who helped answer all my final questions. I hope to give an amazing home for a lifetime to a large tort we will love dearly!

Also, when Reptar is of outdoor size, we already have a separate yard ready, that is fenced in to keep safe from our dogs, that is built on top of over 12 inches of buried concrete borders to keep Reptar safely confined.

We are prepared and always happy to accept new advice and tips!!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This sounds great! I would recommend reading the care sheets on this site because many of those fruits and vegetables aren't good for a Sulcata

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
This sounds great! I would recommend reading the care sheets on this site because many of those fruits and vegetables aren't good for a Sulcata

Ive read all the care sheets here, as well as asked pros. Not all those veggies will he/she get, as some only the leaf, flower and/or fruit is suitable. Plus those are just for diet variation, as grasses & weeds will be my torts staples.
Thank you for contributin. We are super excited!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Replacing the lid with mesh is NOT a good idea. These animals are sub-Saharan...meaning they need high humidity year around for (at least) the first two year. If you go with the 50 gallon tub...you'll need to change it out in the first year or so. Leave the lid intact and mount a radiant heat panel inside the lid along with a ZooMed 10.0 reptisun (or reasonable facsimile). I also (highly) recommend using coco coir/coconut bark for substrate needs! Look about 2/3 of the way down this page for a photo of the set-up I used when they were hatchlings!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...aladars-babies-ultra-photo-heavy.92212/page-6

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Replacing the lid with mesh is NOT a good idea. These animals are sub-Saharan...meaning they need high humidity year around for (at least) the first two year. If you go with the 50 gallon tub...you'll need to change it out in the first year or so. Leave the lid intact and mount a radiant heat panel inside the lid along with a ZooMed 10.0 reptisun (or reasonable facsimile). I also (highly) recommend using coco coir/coconut bark for substrate needs! Look about 2/3 of the way down this page for a photo of the set-up I used when they were hatchlings!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...aladars-babies-ultra-photo-heavy.92212/page-6
On my next payday i will look into changing over the ways im heating with the lid issue. I know they need their humidity, and will make great strides to give it what it needs to thrive.

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Today, after much anticipation, we brought home our little sulcata, Reptar, from the Lone Star Reptile Expo!

Reptar was temp incubated for a female, but of course we dont know for sure yet. For now, we'll call it a she.

She is settling in nice, very active and curious.

Habitat has kept its humidity at an average of 70%, and warmest part of tank in 90F. She has already wore her little self out exploring her area and is currently asleep in her hide.

Soaked her first. Oh, and the cage is only open a little bit on each side of the basking lamp, to allow for the humidity to stay, but allowing me slight viewing area.
reptar.jpg reptar1.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How did the breeder start this baby? How often was it soaked? What substrate was it on?

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
How did the breeder start this baby? How often was it soaked? What substrate was it on?

From my understanding, he soaked them regularly, and kept them in a humid closed rubbermaid like small containers. The substrate was a moss like substance, not sure what it was called. He also had them eating mazuri (spelling??), as well as grass and weeds native to Texas.

He also had Herman (spelling??), red foots, and a range of sizes of leopard tortoises. He had a large leopard that looked amazing! Smooth clean shell and probably 15 pounds.

Does that sound like he did it right? I hope so. No turning back now, just going to make sure I take the best care possible of Reptar with all the info I got here.

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Wow! Added bonus....
Didnt expect Reptar to eat so readily and so quickly!
And she loves to be soaked... will even crawl into her tiny pond (large water dish with low level of water) and hang out!
So happy right now! Reptar seems to be doing so well!