Round the clock Lighting ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
western North Carolina

I recently purchased the above pictured Exo-Terra Compact hood with three fixtures in an attempt to be more efficient and cut down on dome clutter because I knock things over lots, burn myself, etc.

I hope someone else has this furious thing... It has two switches. That's what I wanted. I assumed one would control the side with two sockets and the other would control the side with a single socket. That way I could have UVB/Heat/Night in a single fixture operating a different times. However, one of the switches turns off/on all three lights. The other switch doesn't seem to do anything.

Pearl has started to partially burrow underneath her moss/substrate to sleep (covering her head/legs)
... so if I do leave the UVB light on overnight, is that okay?

- Hayley

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Round the clock Lighting ??

Laura said:
you want it dark at night... but still warm.. I use a CHE Ceramic Heat Emitter

I agree... But that means this good fixture is no good.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Those look like compact fluorescent bulbs. I would research the eye problems thought to be caused by those bulbs.

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
WillTortoise said:
Those look like compact fluorescent bulbs. I would research the eye problems thought to be caused by those bulbs.

Oh, I don't have these types of bulbs. This is just a stock photo of the hood model. I have a UVB bulb, heat bulb, and a night heat bulb. I should have specified, my apologies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry man. They need it dark at night. I use a timer for my basking bulb and a thermostat for my CHE to maintain ambient day and night.

HermannMan77

5 Year Member
WillTortoise said:

I've seen this stated over and over again yet I've see zero sources cited, other than other posts in this same forum. I find it hard to believe companies like ZooMed, ReptiSun, ExoTerra would continue to produce these types of bulbs if they were really making reptiles go blind. Either people aren't using them correctly or the reports are just plain false.

I'd like to see some actual research to back this claim up.

Status
Not open for further replies.