RT with possible blister

Dkess84

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside CA
Hello, I noticed my RT hatchling has a bubble on its neck. I was wondering if this is something of concern or just a blister? Thanks. PXL_20220816_234915644.jpg

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
hmm keep me updated on this spot it doesnt look like the typical aw type spots but it is possible. i can def stay in touch with you and keep an eye on it

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Search this forum to know more. Can you feel the shell edge around his neck, is there a sharp edge that he is rubbing against just an idea? Is there anything he could have scratched against? If not check for another blemishes. If it is what has benn suggested it is contagious so care is required. Is this your only tortoise?

Dkess84

Riverside CA
Search this forum to know more. Can you feel the shell edge around his neck, is there a sharp edge that he is rubbing against just an idea? Is there anything he could have scratched against? If not check for another blemishes. If it is what has benn suggested it is contagious so care is required. Is this your only tortoise?
There's no other spots, the shell does seem kinda sharp right above the neck where the bubble is.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
that could be what its from. just watch it closely. if you see another one or if this one comes back or turns more yellow ish you may have more of an issue

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I think you could get a small nail emery board and give it a little file to remove the sharp part, exactly as we would with our hand and toe nails but very gentle and least is best.
Just adding the care sheet for you to read and it looks very young, which is an important time to provide best set up and environment for smooth even shell growth.

Last edited:

Dkess84

Riverside CA
I think you could get a small nail emery board and give it a little file to remove the sharp part, exactly as we would with our hand and toe nails but very gentle and least is best.
Just adding the care sheet for you to read and it looks very young, which is an important time to provide best set up and environment for smooth even shell growth.
Thanks, it's a hatchling. I've been following the thread you shared and another on hatchling care. This is my first tortoise and reptile, so it's all new to me. I did my thorough readings on this forum before getting the hatchling.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've seen turtles stuck on their backs injure their necks in a similar spot ...... i'd probably put some betadine on it and then some topical antibiotic ........

austwickia was actually first seen in australian turtles , later seen in bowsprit tortoises , egyptian tortoises , desert tortoise and gopher tortoise , first seen in the U.S. i believe was in a king cobra , early 1990's ... it's a bacterial infection that was called dermatophilus chelonae ,with dna technology it has since been renamed austwickia chelonae .......