Runt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
What makes the runt a runt? The baby redfoot I want to buy is smaller in size and shy. Is he a runt, and if so what does this mean?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It typically just means smaller than average.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have read that runts usually die early, is that true? Is he the runt?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not too knowledgeable about runts, so I can't say if that's true or not. I have had one runt hatch out and it died, but I'm not sure if it was because he was born smaller than average.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This happens every once in a while with some different species I hava had hatch out. Usually I keep them. They are either the last or first to hatch out and are very very small. I have had 1 die few weeks after hatching out, But the rest did just fine and grew normal after a while. Just one of those things to me. I know nothing scientific about it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No way to tell unless your the one watching them hatch out. Redfoots will lay eggs so randomly they could just be a few months apart from different clutches. Is he like super small? Where did he come from?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mattgrizzlybear said:
So is he the runt?

You'd have to ask the breeder.

If you have reservations about the health/wellness of the tortoise, just wait and buy a different one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
^ditto. If it is just a small one alot younger than the others, then it might not be a well started baby. Sometimes "breeders" will just sell all they have for a quick buck and say ahhh that one will do fine with the others. Its hard for people to be patient, especially with redfoots because they can hatch out at very wide margins of dates, and the "breeder" just wants to sell them all at once instead of offering the ones that are already off to a good start. Everyone has their own different methods though. I am merely just speculating and offering incidents I see at shows and pet stores too often.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ohhh well 1/2" probably just makes it a sooner hatched out one. You should be fine. Ask just to be sure. But when I saw runt questions, my dealings are like 1/2-3/4" smaller at same hatch out time periods. Should be fine.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
tortadise said:
Ohhh well 1/2" probably just makes it a sooner hatched out one. You should be fine. Ask just to be sure. But when I saw runt questions, my dealings are like 1/2-3/4" smaller at same hatch out time periods. Should be fine.

He said he proboly is

Should i get him or not?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That he is probably the runt? Or just younger than the rest. I mean really its your decision. Ive had runts in my batches die, then some havent. usually they die pretty early on anyways so depending on its age, should be ok. I think he produces good animals. Never heard anything bad. If the signs are clear, good appetite, active, growing well, kept in great conditions shouldnt have any plausable problems.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I had a "runt" hatch this year. It was about the same size if not a bit smaller than its egg sac when it hatched. Smallest tort I ever hatched. I thought it was not going to make it. I kept it in the incubator twice as long as the rest of the hatchlings. All it did was sit there and hide and do nothing, zero personality. It was kept in an incubator for a month and a half to make sure it had a strong start. It is still small but doing great. Now it is an outgoing little bugger. But like all torts and kiddies, they are born with their own personalities. Since it is smaller, it just may need some more time getting adjusted. Jrcrist has some nice torts. Talk to him and see what he thinks.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Should I get him? It hasn't gotten through my head yet and I can't decide. I wanted one that will be active and up and around a lot. Jcrist says he's one that always wants to be hidden in the substrate. Do you think he will be more active once I get him (if I do)?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its your decision to make. all we are saying as breeders is in runt situations we have gone to levels of making sure they are off to a good start. Like allegra said, sometimes they need to be kept in broomation methods in the incubator even after hatched out.

If it were me. I always like a great challange in care. If I got it, I would set him up in a setup just like if it were my own that hatched out. I say get him and question like a first time tortoise owner. make sure your prepared to possibly take the extra mile with him. Honestly me being a breeder of many redfoots, and other species, I would not sell an animal like that unless I knew it was very well off and beyond the fragile stage needing some additional husbandry techniques.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
If this is your first tort or first redfoot, I would not pick this little guy. I think the experienced breeder should hang on to him a little while longer just to make sure it's okay, before selling him. Of course, I don't know all the details of the situation. That's just my suggestion.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My gut tells me to get him but he does have others, maybe i should take a look at the othere. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.