Russian tortoise temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt99

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
indiana (USA)
Will my tort be active if his ecloser 70 with a basking spot of 85.
My tort is being "lazy" after I moved him to a much bigger encloser last weekend, he wont get up if i dont lay him in his heat lamp, but he does sit in his little whole he makes every night and look aroud, also he will eat, and if i take him outside he is happy to run around for as long as I let him.

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Chicago
hi matt..
the temperature should be a little higher somewhere around 80..90!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Russian tortoises need the following temperatures:

Ambient daytime: 70s to low 80s
Basking spot: 95-100*F
Nighttime: preferably in the 60s

Your tortoise may inactive because his basking spot is not hot enough, and does not allow his digestive and immune systems to function at their optimum.

Also, he may still be frightened, since you just moved him to a new pen, in which case he will just need some time to get used to his new environment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also...remember you just changed his world so he may be a bit out of sorts for a few days....and I agree the basking spot should be closer to 90ish....:D

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
I have a 100 watt heat bulb, on the box it says 6 inches for 87 to 95 so that's where I put it. My house temp is noremaly around 70-75 is that a good healthy temp range. I do have a heat pad but he doesn't seem to care for it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
100w should get your basking area to 95f or so, even at 12" away. Are you sure you are measuring your temps with an accurate thermometer?
They do need a temp in the 90-95f range to be able to digest, that's true.
Cool side of 70f is great.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Matt99 said:
I have a 100 watt heat bulb, on the box it says 6 inches for 87 to 95 so that's where I put it. My house temp is noremaly around 70-75 is that a good healthy temp range. I do have a heat pad but he doesn't seem to care for it.

Those distances-from-the-substrate are nice rules of thumb, but they are no substitute for a good thermometer to tell you the actual temperature in the hot spot.

Some experts recommend 90*F, others 95*F, and still others 100*F for a Russian tortoise basking spot. I shoot for 95*F myself, since that is in the middle range of what is recommended. But if ambient temperature rises from 70-80*F, bringing the hot spot up to 100*F, then that's fine.

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
I took the temps in his cage and they where high, I rased his heat lamp and now his basking spot is 100. Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.