Russian tortoise uvb

RaptoRcookiez

Location (City and/or State)
I have a 4 year old russian tortoise named trevor that I got around 2 days ago and ive noticed since ive had him his eyes stay shut when im around him but when I have a camera set up he opens them and I was wondering if my UVB effected him, I was told that my uvb was good for him but ive heard otherwise and I will post a picture of it along with a picture of him.

imag1.jpgtrevorchilling.jpgtrevorswimming.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
That uvb is affecting his eyes, shut it off immediately. That water bowl is dangerous for your tort, he could flip over and drown. Also, you need a much bigger enclosure at least 8ft by 4ft since he is an adult. I’m going to link this care sheet to you, read it carefully.

RaptoRcookiez

That uvb is affecting his eyes, shut it off immediately. That water bowl is dangerous for your tort, he could flip over and drown. Also, you need a much bigger enclosure at least 8ft by 4ft since he is an adult. I’m going to link this care sheet to you, read it carefully.

the enclosure I am currently using is temporary, do you know of any bowls that will work

RaptoRcookiez

im going to order new UVB for him tonight should I shut it off until it arrives?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I have a 4 year old russian tortoise named trevor that I got around 2 days ago and ive noticed since ive had him his eyes stay shut when im around him but when I have a camera set up he opens them and I was wondering if my UVB effected him, I was told that my uvb was good for him but ive heard otherwise and I will post a picture of it along with a picture of him.

View attachment 302406View attachment 302408View attachment 302409

Can you show how you have the light mounted? How high is it mounted?

RaptoRcookiez

Try to find the T5 bulb, that one is the best.
ok i just ordered the 2 I linked since I could not find the t5 in the size I need, I plan to start building a 8x4x2 enclosure for him in a few weeks too and I fixed the water issue, should I use turtle eye drops on him to help with the damage I did on his eyes?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I have a 4 year old russian tortoise named trevor that I got around 2 days ago and ive noticed since ive had him his eyes stay shut when im around him but when I have a camera set up he opens them

If the eye's are opening when you're not around, it sounds more like he's not adjusted/scared/shy and not something wrong with the eyes.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
No, that is a T8. They put out poor amounts of UVB.

I was looking for T5 tubes and fixtures a couple weeks ago and all the usual retailers were out of 22". So I found this site and ordered from them. The fixture is nice, with a very shiny reflector. Keep in mind you need a 24" fixture for a 22" tube.

I don't know what length you need, this is what I ordered.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
LLLreptiles.com had the 30 inch ZooMed T5 HO light fixture the other day. It comes with a 5.0 bulb. ZooMed also makes a 10.0 bulb. If you are going to have the light fixture still mounted at around 9 inches from the top of the substrate then the 5.0 bulb that comes with the light fixture should be strong enough.

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
RE: UVB light and light fixtures. While we were preparing to receive Scooter, we hunted and hunted for the preferred UVB bulbs and fixtures. We bought and returned several bulbs because the fixtures for them were nearly impossible to find. Currently, we are using something, but not what we prefer (which is similar to what is shown above). The links above appear to show only the bulbs. Please, if someone could send a link of both UVB bulb and fixture that would be awesome! Thank you so much.