Safe Tortoise House

Taryn73

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have been driving myself crazy for over a month looking for a new house for my yearling redfoots. There is absolutely NOTHING geared towards tortoises other than your typical small tanks or tables. My guys live on my large screened lanai (Florida) with a modified chicken coop as their enclosure. I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have one custom built. I know there are a lot of disadvantages of using wood, however, I want it custom and cute. Yes, I said cute. It may not last as long, but I am ok with that. With all that being said, is untreated pine wood and a water based sealer OK to use? I have read so many conflicting opinions and possible facts regarding utilizing pine wood for building materials. The enclosure I have now is pine and no problems. I will be using radiant heat panels and CHE and have read that heat brings out the toxicity of the wood. I'm assuming if you seal it, that can't happen?? Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I used plain old pine common boards & treated the inside of the enclosure with KILZ to keep any mold/mildew from forming (or rotting the wood). I put several coats of Kilz, then let it dry thoroughly a good two weeks before i used it with high humidity & heat. Lasted a good two years before our Sully out grew it.

Taryn73

Florida
I have, however, they have free run of my screened in Lanai during the day and I need something that can keep them warm during the colder months. It has gotten in the 30's here in Florida the last couple months. They love the house they have now but it's kind of hodge podged and I want/need something bigger now.