scary roach story. YUGHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura808

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
not able to leave comments for now
OK. So this was about a week or two ago. I had just gotten up and I went to the bathroom to put in my contacts. On my way, I see a Huge roach about 2 In. long. I was tired so i just kept walking and then when I was looking in the mirror later i saw what looked like two thick hairs poking out from my head. "Gross" I thought. so as i reach my hand up to flatten them down, a huge-angus roach crawls up and over onto the top of my head. :O I then scream bloody murder, and nearly have a spazz attack trying to get it off. EW. NEVER AGAIN. I still brush my hand over my hair every so often just in case somethings there, even though I know theres nothing. Just thought id like to share with you my horrible experience. XP If anything similar happened to you please do share! It looked like this:

Attachments

• American-Cockroach.jpg
    American-Cockroach.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 50

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I so would have peed my pants, and then ripped all my clothes off, and then ran screaming thru the house! All the while hubby and sons laughing and peeing their pants!! You are a brave woman!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Oh yes, the joys of living in Hawaii. I'm sure you have encoultered one of these before. My wife ran across this guy just the other night in the kitchen. I worry about my hatchlints around these guys.

pi002.jpg

laura808

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
I so would have peed my pants, and then ripped all my clothes off, and then ran screaming thru the house! All the while hubby and sons laughing and peeing their pants!! You are a brave woman!

LOL!!!!! XD I was so close to doing what you said!

Onarock: yeah I sure have! those things are nasty, and once I found a gecko in Otises home!

kyryah: ohhhh Toms the roach man right? Ill bet hes laughing at me being such a scardy cat! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I just want to know the species. Can you get an actual pic of one?

I used to be a little weird about them too when I was a kid, but I forced myself to get over it, because they are totally harmless. I started by just flicking them. Then briefly touching them as they crawled away. Eventually, I worked up the courage to place a flat hand over the top of one and hold it in place. Over time I was able to pick them up. Now, years later, I just pick up handfuls out of my bins and it doesn't bother me. I caught a bunch of wild ones not too long ago and that almost gave me the heebie-jeebies, so I kind of understand.

My little girl isn't afraid of a harmless insect...
2wmnl2f.jpg

ta636g.jpg

e049bt.jpg

laura808

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh! your daughter is amazing! If I can ill try to take a picture of one when I next see it. People here call them the b52 bomber roach lol. Theres so many of them here, and Im afraid to say that when someone sees one in their kitchen, they grab the nearest newspaper or slipper....... I was so freaked out because they fly.... fast. I also have a sort of OCD fear of one going into my mouth! hahaha I know that sounds crazy but ill try to get over it. :p Ok... here I go. Im gonna try to find one and take a picture. It might take a few days, lol. It looks just like the one in the pic. i posted. Tom you would love it here. theres lizards, geckos, and roaches, all over the place! ^.^

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Cute kid Tom. I got some centipedes like the one pictured above in my yard and sometimes in my house and sometimes in my bed (I've been bit twice in bed) that would love to eat one of those roaches. HA!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
laura808 said:
Oh my gosh! your daughter is amazing! If I can ill try to take a picture of one when I next see it. People here call them the b52 bomber roach lol. Theres so many of them here, and Im afraid to say that when someone sees one in their kitchen, they grab the nearest newspaper or slipper....... I was so freaked out because they fly.... fast. I also have a sort of OCD fear of one going into my mouth! hahaha I know that sounds crazy but ill try to get over it. :p Ok... here I go. Im gonna try to find one and take a picture. It might take a few days, lol. It looks just like the one in the pic. i posted. Tom you would love it here. theres lizards, geckos, and roaches, all over the place! ^.^

Do you ever see the "feral" Jackson's Chameleons? Some people make it sound like they are EVERYWHERE. How common are they?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Not so much on Oahu (jacksoni), but we have tons here on Maui. I have spotted 3 large females up high in some of my hibiscus and lots of babies down below over the weekend. I attached some pics of my son taken two years ago. He is always cathing them, but this one so far takes the cake. This pic was taken in Keokea at over 4000ft elevation. Its pretty dry there and get down in the low 40s in the winter

pi016.jpg

pi014.jpg

pi015.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Tom and Onarock~ you have such cool little kids My boys 11 & 16 would freak out over the roach and I don't think they would touch the lizard either.
Laura~I don't think your fear of a roach getting in your mouth is OCD that could happen and would be awful.
OCD is one of the few thing I know a lot about, I have been dealing with it for 40 years.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Oh my gosh! I would have freaked out so badly if that happened to me.

I use to be okay with cockroaches (being near them, never touched one though) until we were in Hawaii and I found a huggee one in the bathtub running around like crazy. It was like 3am, I was tired, but ran like crazy out of that room screaming semi-quietly to myself! I think if I were to hold a captive (smaller) cockroach I would be fine, but otherwise no way.

I am okay with almost all other little creatures like that, though HATE being around spiders. When I was younger, I use to hold ones I found in the yard (like an idiot), and had no problem at all. I actually thought Black Windows were cool and liked to look at them (from a distance of course).

Now, I truly can NOT stand spiders of any kind. Black Widows disgust the hell out of me and I can not stand to look at them (nor Brown Widows). Not too long ago I was cleaning and felt something go down the front of my shirt. I didn't think much of it, but then looked down and saw the most disgusting huge black spider fall further down my shirt. No way was I going to stick my hand down there and actually GRAB it.... Long story short, I SCREAMED my head off, ran to the bathroom, ripped my shirt off, and started laughing/crying hysterically.

More recently, there was a huge FAST black spider on the computer desk. I went to grab something to smash it with (a very brave thing for me to attempt to do), but it was gone when I looked back at it. Later that evening I saw it again while I was looking for it again, and it ran like lightning into a stack of stuff. Basically, the same thing happened as the other situation above.... completely FREAKED out and was hysterical.

I am not afraid of too much, but spiders are DEFINATELY where you will get me... every time.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Oh cockroaches dont ya just love them:rolleyes:. Here in Florida we are ruled by palmetto bugs it actually looks like the one in your pick but maybe they just all look like that! I have woken up to a cockroach crawling on me. Putting on a jacket that I didn't know housed a cockroach ( I freaked out once it started crawling out through my arm whole). Oh also when I was in marching band we would have practice for 3 hours straight in the hot florida sun so we all had our huge rubbermaid 1 gallon water coolers that look like this
21b1nae5xrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So practice is over and its about 10:00PM and I was thirsty so I went to get a drink from my water jug. I take a sip and immediately I feel something weird in my mouth. At first I thought it was a piece of ice but I thought I would be safe and I spit it out. Lone behold I was swishing around a dead cockroach in my mouth! I totally freaked out. I brushed my teeth for almost 30 minutes. That experienced scarred me for life.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Spiders don't bother me at all, but roaches YUCK! Thank goodness I don't have roaches. We have lots of spiders in the yard. I don't think you can get rid of them here. I also hate ants. I have been lucky to keep them away from the house, but I have a couple big ant hills on my property.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
This thread is hilarious!
Awesome pictures with the little girl and the bug!!!!
We get some fairly big ones here, the big ones don't 'bug' me as much as those American Roaches which we have too they just make me feel dirty.. where's the big ones I feel are just bugs...
Those millipedes a friend round the corner said his house was infested with them..
So I did some reading on them they can be a nightmare and ruin your life!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think I agree it is the smaller really fast roaches that are so gross.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
i had to really think about opening this post.. i was born and raised in Lebanon Beirut which is very humid in the summer, I remember a lot of stories about roaches during the summer and i am scarred for life i hate those things and when i bought my house i would see those f&^%ers crawling aver from my neighbors wall they are called german roaches does anyone have a remedie on how to get rid of those because from time to time i see one dead in the house but they are usually the babies how do i get rid of them completely i dont want to see them.. and i think they come out the shower or bathtub drain i hate them i hate them i hate them.. so help me please

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Tobi I just looked up the German and American roach..
I think I am mistaken in my previous post about being grossed out by the American Roach those appear to be the big ones I'm scared of them but not grossed out...
So the ones that gross me out appear to be the smaller German Roach...
Yuck!!
I think the only way to get rid of them is to seal all the cracks up but if you say they are coming up through drains that's going to be hard...
Boric Acid is supposed to be good...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Marty333, I did the EXACT same thing with a pincher bug when I was little (though in a cup, not a cooler)! However, mine was still very much alive. Never ever drink anything in the dark! BLECK!

They are one of the few little creatures who also freak me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.