Second generation I.forstenii,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
thankgiving2012pluslotsaturtles147.jpg

My first ever f2 forstenii is doing very well. I hope to have more hatching next year, the eggs are currently incubating.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Yellow Turtle said:
Nice job!! How many hatchlings can you get from a female?
[/quote
Three or four per female per year would be good. I have never had a female lay more than two eggs in a clutch. Most clutches consist of only one. In 2011 two females laid a total of seven eggs each. One produced them in seven individual clutches, the other in five clutches.

Mary Ann

10 Year Member!
BENJAMIN -- LOOKS WONDERFUL .... I MUST THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE
LOVELY YEARLING AND 6-MONTH OLD CB FORSTENS I PURCHASED FROM YOU OVER THREE MOTNHS AGO. THEY ARE PERFECT, HEALTHY & FRIENDLY AS CAN BE .. I LUV EM
THANX
MARY ANN

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Mary Ann said:
BENJAMIN -- LOOKS WONDERFUL .... I MUST THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE
LOVELY YEARLING AND 6-MONTH OLD CB FORSTENS I PURCHASED FROM YOU OVER THREE MOTNHS AGO. THEY ARE PERFECT, HEALTHY & FRIENDLY AS CAN BE .. I LUV EM
THANX
MARY ANN
Wonderful to hear they are well.
Four clutches are incubating now and more on the way. I am hoping for a good year with them in 2013.

Mary Ann

10 Year Member!
BEN- THIS FORSTEN IS A BEAUTY AND I MUST SAY THE TWO I PURCHASED FROM YOU IN SEPT. 2012 ARE BY FAR THE MOST PERFECT TORTOISES I HAVE EVER RECEIVED IN 40 YEARS OF TORTOISE KEEPING.
THEY HAVE BEEN A JOY TO OWN IN THE PAST 5 MONTHS .SO HEALTHY.
THEY ARE SO PERSONABLE....... THEY WALTZ RIGHT UP TO GREET YOU.
YOU CERTAINLY DESERVE MERIT FOR BREEDING A SPECIES THAT IS ON A RAPID DECLINE IN THE WILD. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!
MUST TWO FEMALES BE SEPERATED IN A LARGE OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE?
INDOORS I SEPERATE ALL MY TORTOISES

MARY ANN/NY

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Mary Ann said:
BEN- THIS FORSTEN IS A BEAUTY AND I MUST SAY THE TWO I PURCHASED FROM YOU IN SEPT. 2012 ARE BY FAR THE MOST PERFECT TORTOISES I HAVE EVER RECEIVED IN 40 YEARS OF TORTOISE KEEPING.
YOU CERTAINLY DESERVE MERIT FOR BREEDING A SPECIES THAT IS ON A RAPID DECLINE IN THE WILD. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!

MARY ANN/NY

You are lucky. All three of mine are very shy. And they are master of escape, I need to heighten my enclosure soon...

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Yellow Turtle said:
Mary Ann said:

MARY ANN/NY

You are lucky. All three of mine are very shy. And they are master of escape, I need to heighten my enclosure soon...

They are very good at digging as well. They like to dig pallets for resting and sleeping. If this is dug in a corner, they can easily dig out in a matter of days. My outdoor pens are sunk into the ground 4-6". I also keep the perimeters clear of any cover.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Noted, I won't worry of digging for mine, because the perimeter is full concrete. I don't know they are good diggers though. Thank you.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I will add that all of my forstenii are very friendly and come to see me when I check on them. One male waves is front leg at me, I think he is motioning where I could put some food.

Status
Not open for further replies.