Shell fungus OR shell rot?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can anyone shed some light on this murky question?
It is my understanding that shell fungus is not shell rot. That shell rot is actually not or no longer fungal and us now microbial and needs to be treated with antibiotics. While a fungal issue can be treated with an antifungal ointment. Such as athletes food cream.
Recent P.M. messaging, texts, Emails and posts here have me second guessing myself.
I have a good deal of experience with shell fungus. I keep Redfoot. It's always steamy and damp here. Summer time is "whip out the athletes foot cream" time.
But what about actual rot? Foul smelling, squishy dead material. Often with holes or crumbling areas of plastron?
To me, this is not the same thing. And I've seen some nasty fungus.
Is shell rot the end result of an out if control fungus? Or something else?
So. My question is: Is shell rot and shell fungus the same thing or not?
Or is one cured by an antifungal and the other treated with an anti microbial? ( antibiotic)
And if so, how do we decide to make the distinction?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
While not directly related, I believe that one begets the other if left untreated. Fungus on humans, if left untreated, can lead to open sores which invites bacteria. Dark, wet conditions only accelerate the process.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it starts with a fungus. The med would be the antifungal cream. If it's left unattended or gets too bad from the get go, it then has turned into rot. The rot would best be treated most likely with both antifungal and antibiotic.
@Yvonne G

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That is my understanding of it as well.
So, should we correct posters if they think they have shell rot. When it is still simply fungus?
The diagnosis of shell "rot" gets used a lot. When it is not.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That is my understanding of it as well.
So, should we correct posters if they think they have shell rot. When it is still simply fungus?
The diagnosis of shell "rot" gets used a lot. When it is not.

I'm with ya there. Shell rot has a very distinctive odor to it. Perhaps we should bring that up as well.