Shell rot question

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
I can't tell if this is the start of shell rot or not. There are white swirly marks on the costal scutes that I suspect are either from abrasion or shell rot, but I am not sure. My greek tortoise likes to sleep in his hot hide, which is a terra cotta pot half buried in coco coir, and he tends to prefer to dig near the side of the pot when he is burrowing to sleep. I suspect the marks are either due to abrasion from the terra cotta pot, hard water stains left on his shell after his soaks, or shell rot, but I can't be sure. He is only 4 months old, please help!

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
I don't see anything that looks like a fungal issue.
Maybe hard water stains and some debris on the top of his shell....

Hmm, I'm thinking it's hard water stains too, but there was also a part of the plastron that looked concerning.
20171226_214316035_iOS_LI.jpg

Here are also more images of the carapace that have the white lines on it.
20171226_214441952_iOS_LI.jpg 20171226_214255834_iOS_LI.jpg

Sinnu

najma Qatar

zovick

10 Year Member!
Its been 2 days since i noticed them . And idk if its water stains or wht? Pls help
It does not look like shell rot. Plastron looks like normal shell keratin. Upper shell maybe hard water stains. Try removing them with vinegar and a scrub brush.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do a forum search for WHITE SQUIGGLY LINES.
They've been discussed before. Several times. It's pretty common and seems to be harmless but no one has figured out what that is.
It not shell fungus.