Shipping Tortoise

Enzo M

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Hello, everyone ive been following this website for about a year, i just now decided to create a profile because well tbh i am not too knowledgeable with computer stuff. Anyway i have a question about shipping tortoises, i have a 1 year old sulcata and i need to ship itb from florida to Texas. Now i seen videos and such about packaging but am not too sure what documents and labels i need. Also is there a special type of box i need? Please help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have had success using Ship Your Reptiles. They give you all the instruction and how to print the label, etc.

I believe @Will uses a different company. Maybe he'll pop in here and give you his take on the subject.

Enzo M

San Antonio
Thank you @Yvonne G i checked out ship your reptiles but since am shipping the tort tomorrow i couldnt get the supplies, you think i can get them at fedex and then use the ship your reptile to get the discounted price? And then i would drop of the package at fedex? I know the info is there but am really slow ... Smh

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I now use Reptiles2you, as the company manager Debbra Price, will take the time it takes to solve a problem. They too have a website that walks you through everything as does Superior Shipping Supplies and others.

In short you want to pack in several layers, the tortoise in a hard plastic minimum size container with holes in it for air exchange. Excess space in with the tortoise should be filled loosely with something soft and slightly moist, I use sphagnum or mulch. Then this is placed in a box that has a insulated foam insert, or a box where you line all six side with foam board. A solid box versus panels is critical in the event the tortoise pees or poops while in transit. The solid foam box if kept upright won't leak, six panels may. That's why I use a plastic box as the innermost container. I use packing peanuts between the inner plastic box and the foam box so that air can move but the inner plastic box is held secure in place. A white outer cardboard box is prefered, somehow it bring better handling? On the outside you HAVE to declare the scientific name the common name and how many. There does not have to be a bazillion air hole, but there does NEED to be air holes.

Put the shipping label and content label on the top of the box.

Content labels needs there three bits of info...
Centrochelys sulcata
African Spurred tortoise
0.0.1 (I never indicate the sex even if I know)

The more complete the prepaid shipping label is, the better it all works.

I only ship on Mondays and Tuesdays, so if there is a shipping delay there are more workweek days to resolve it over waiting out a weekend.

FedEx posts weather and airport based delays in real time, whatever service you use should also offer this through their webpage.

Keep track of the shipment yourself and see when FedEx says it's been delivered, wait ten minutes and call the recipient, ask then how the tortoise is. It blows me away that even for fairly pricey animals the recipient can be neglectful to make sure the box is collected and opened right away.

One thing you can do is see if the recipient will be willing to got to the most local FedEx ship center (not a copy office center but ship center), again the company you deal with can help you sort that out, which one is closest to the recipient.

That will allow the person getting the tortoise to 'get it' up a to a few hours quicker, with less FedEx truck time, and several fewer hands 'handling' the box. Most FedEx ship centers are at least moderately climate controlled compared to being in a truck.

Beyond this, any further question should be made to the vendor that will get your $$, that's why they get your $$.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have always used shipyourreptiles.com. However, after reading @Will 's post, I checked out and now joined reptiles2you.

I had just shipped a couple of turtles yesterday, and checking the prices, it would have been a bit LESS THAN 1/2 the price to use reptiles2you over what I paid with shipyourreptiles!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have always used shipyourreptiles.com. However, after reading @Will 's post, I checked out and now joined reptiles2you.

I had just shipped a couple of turtles yesterday, and checking the prices, it would have been a bit LESS THAN 1/2 the price to use reptiles2you over what I paid with shipyourreptiles!!
I've been using Reptiles2You exclusively for a few months now. Used them twice this week. Very happy with them/her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you @Yvonne G i checked out ship your reptiles but since am shipping the tort tomorrow i couldnt get the supplies, you think i can get them at fedex and then use the ship your reptile to get the discounted price? And then i would drop of the package at fedex? I know the info is there but am really slow ... Smh
You should never ship on a Thursday or Friday. Especially not during hot or cold weather. You need to reschedule and also get the right supplies.

An alternative way to ship is to ship it like a dog or cat. You put it in a small plastic airline approved dog crate with grass hay on the bottom, put it on the flight, and the recipient picks it up a few hours later at the destination airport. I did this with a couple of large leopard tortoises and they arrived safe and sound and were only out of our hands for a few hours instead of overnight. Only cost me $88, plus I sent and old crate.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is also important to note the hubs the tortoise will be shipped through! Memphis is one of the main FedEx hubs. Unfortuately very prone to thunderstorm delays. So it is not just the heat or cold. I've had a shipment last month delayed and stuck in Memphis an extra day because of cancelled flights due to thunderstorm activity. @Will 's advice of shipping the beginning of the week only is particularly important.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
You should never ship on a Thursday or Friday. Especially not during hot or cold weather. You need to reschedule and also get the right supplies.

An alternative way to ship is to ship it like a dog or cat. You put it in a small plastic airline approved dog crate with grass hay on the bottom, put it on the flight, and the recipient picks it up a few hours later at the destination airport. I did this with a couple of large leopard tortoises and they arrived safe and sound and were only out of our hands for a few hours instead of overnight. Only cost me $88, plus I sent and old crate.
I have only shipped this way (airport to airport) via Delta Dash and have never had anything other than great experiences.

Enzo M

San Antonio
I now use Reptiles2you, as the company manager Debbra Price, will take the time it takes to solve a problem. They too have a website that walks you through everything as does Superior Shipping Supplies and others.

In short you want to pack in several layers, the tortoise in a hard plastic minimum size container with holes in it for air exchange. Excess space in with the tortoise should be filled loosely with something soft and slightly moist, I use sphagnum or mulch. Then this is placed in a box that has a insulated foam insert, or a box where you line all six side with foam board. A solid box versus panels is critical in the event the tortoise pees or poops while in transit. The solid foam box if kept upright won't leak, six panels may. That's why I use a plastic box as the innermost container. I use packing peanuts between the inner plastic box and the foam box so that air can move but the inner plastic box is held secure in place. A white outer cardboard box is prefered, somehow it bring better handling? On the outside you HAVE to declare the scientific name the common name and how many. There does not have to be a bazillion air hole, but there does NEED to be air holes.

Put the shipping label and content label on the top of the box.

Content labels needs there three bits of info...
Centrochelys sulcata
African Spurred tortoise
0.0.1 (I never indicate the sex even if I know)

The more complete the prepaid shipping label is, the better it all works.

I only ship on Mondays and Tuesdays, so if there is a shipping delay there are more workweek days to resolve it over waiting out a weekend.

FedEx posts weather and airport based delays in real time, whatever service you use should also offer this through their webpage.

Keep track of the shipment yourself and see when FedEx says it's been delivered, wait ten minutes and call the recipient, ask then how the tortoise is. It blows me away that even for fairly pricey animals the recipient can be neglectful to make sure the box is collected and opened right away.

One thing you can do is see if the recipient will be willing to got to the most local FedEx ship center (not a copy office center but ship center), again the company you deal with can help you sort that out, which one is closest to the recipient.

That will allow the person getting the tortoise to 'get it' up a to a few hours quicker, with less FedEx truck time, and several fewer hands 'handling' the box. Most FedEx ship centers are at least moderately climate controlled compared to being in a truck.

Beyond this, any further question should be made to the vendor that will get your $$, that's why they get your $$.

Where do i get the content lable??? I only got the shipping label

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Where do i get the content label??? I only got the shipping label
Which service did you use? They have the content label with their webpage and phone number that instructs FedEx to reach out to that service provider if there is a packing issue. It's on their webpage.

Enzo M

San Antonio
Okay so i placed the shipping label and the lacy document on the box and dropped it off. I couldnt wait to ship the tortoise monday since i myself have to fly to texas tomorrow at 2 and arrive at 6. The tort is suppose to be delivered to my moms address at 10 am if there is no delays fingers crossed! I got the insulated Styrofoam box with the shipping popcorn and put the tort inside a container with holes. I am terrified but am trying to stay positive, maybe is an overreaction but he/she means the world to me. I wouldve preferred to drive a rental but my license is suspended

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m sure if you followed the instructions it’ll be just fine. I’ve shipped hundreds of reptiles with no casualties.

Enzo M

San Antonio
My sully made it to San Antonio guys :) i am just waiting for it to be delivered! I cant wait to see him tonight ! I miss him so much already

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have only shipped this way (airport to airport) via Delta Dash and have never had anything other than great experiences.
Delta Dash has also been good to me. The instance I'm referring to here was with United. They are the only one I've tried other than Delta.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sully made it to San Antonio guys :) i am just waiting for it to be delivered! I cant wait to see him tonight ! I miss him so much already
I'm always nervous about shipping too. Hopefully your little guy arrives safe and happy.