Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan:

I don't keep turtles in the house...they're too messy and hard to keep clean. I have a nice pond outside for them. But what I see of your tank, it looks pretty darned good. How big is the turtle that lives in there? I like the dock with a light over it, and a hiding place on the bottom. It looks like you've thought of your tortoise's comfort and needs. I don't see a filter, though. How do you keep it clean?

idan_uk

5 Year Member
Yes they are very messy, I live in the uk so outside isn't an option as they won't last long, I'm always trying to think of great setups and see what one they are happiest with
I have 2 actually; raffy who is 3" each way ( I think female) and Danny who is about 2.5" each way
I have an external filter for a 600L tank and UV, I keep it clean by taking them out to feed in a separate small tank and wait untill they poop and then put them back in, works well and keeps the water fresh!

image-2226108625.png

image-2538357126.png

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
IMAG1647.jpg

IMAG1579-picsay.jpg

IMAG1571-picsay.jpg

Will post some mote dated pics soon, both tanks have changed some, more water and another canister filter etc but thats basically it, those are my yearling tanks

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
idan_uk said:
Yes they are very messy, I live in the uk so outside isn't an option as they won't last long, I'm always trying to think of great setups and see what one they are happiest with
I have 2 actually; raffy who is 3" each way ( I think female) and Danny who is about 2.5" each way
I have an external filter for a 600L tank and UV, I keep it clean by taking them out to feed in a separate small tank and wait untill they poop and then put them back in, works well and keeps the water fresh!

Nothing stopping you keeping turtles outside in the UK as long as they're suitable. Myself and plenty of others have outdoor ponds here. I've got a YBS, Peninsula Cooter and a pair of False Maps outside. Currently in 1300L but I'm going to double that size shortly.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Mine are much too big to keep in a tank. They are free roam the yard during Summer and have a small pond for them.

idan_uk

5 Year Member
Cool!
That's fine then show us your ponds if you keep them outside.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I have pics in my other thread but this is my upgraded pond 7' x 9' approx 2600L. Only recently completed so the planting isn't finished.

20120610_201604.jpg

Idusa

5 Year Member
image-1933319489.png

Wuup, first post ever! Just adopted these nice ladies from a guy who had lost interest. Due to lack of founds there is still room for improvement in the tank and it is also my first ever experience with reptiles. He had no lights or heat on them and only fed them once a week. I have given them light, heat and daily feeding of various kindes, mostly anchovys and frozen turtle food. It is so great to see how they are much more active. Any advice ón tank improvements?

Attachments

• image-2582884862.png
    image-2582884862.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image-434976964.png
    image-434976964.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.