sick russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosman

5 Year Member
Hi everybody.

I think my russian is sick. I am hoping to take him to the vet tomorrow since they said they wouldn't be able to look at him today.

But for 2-3 days now he has had diarrhea and sleeps all day. when i put him outside to play (which he usually loves), he just goes into a dark cold corner and sleeps.

His substrate is sand with coir. a UVB lamp and a heat lamp on one end and a shaded area on the other end. I typically feed him collard and mustard greens. romaine lettuce, endive, kale, spring mix.

What can I do in the mean time? or does he need a vet asap?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
i do not like sand it causes impaction and can kill a tortoise maybe the problem but honestly i dont have a clue! D:

wosman

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
i do not like sand it causes impaction and can kill a tortoise maybe the problem but honestly i dont have a clue! D:

What would you recommend as a substrate? would I buy it at a pet store or a homeimprovement center type of deal?

would also letting him rest be a good idea? or should i try and get him to play?

natty01

5 Year Member
i use top soil without the sand . my non proffesional advice would be to keep the heat on him and increase the number of soaks in warm water. dehydration is a major killer of any small animal and i doubt tortoises are any different. i wouldnt hassle him to play just keep him warm and well hydrated and let his tummy rest and get him to the vet as soon as possible.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
If it has diarrhea, dehydration is definitely a concern making soaking even more important. I've found regular and frequent soaks cure almost every issue I've faced thus far.

You'll hear people tell you any kind of substrate is a concern for impaction. Everone has a very different opinion (sorry to say). It seems the majority I speak to prefer coconut coir and/or cypress mulch with some other variable substrate potentially mixed in. Many will say equal parts of soil and play sand are good. I personally use just coconut coir with cypress mulch (when available).

Patrick

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is he a captive bred or is he wild caught? Have you had him checked for parasites and the like?

I too do not like sand as part of their substrate. In my opinion sand has the ability to settle then collect a back up behind it...tasting of substrate is something that torts seem to like to do...if your tortoise is well hydrated then a taste or two of most substrate should not be a problem.....this is totally my personal opinion. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
with diarrhea my first guess is usually parasites.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
wosman said:
tyler0912 said:

What would you recommend as a substrate? would I buy it at a pet store or a homeimprovement center type of deal?

would also letting him rest be a good idea? or should i try and get him to play?
I reccomend....cypress mulch or a topping soil without sand and i agree i think maybe parasites which is causing diarrhea!

lorraine

5 Year Member
I used to use play sand and top soil and my babies didn't like it so I changed it to top soil. I wouldn't change it now as they get on really well with it they are more active now.

Also how many baths do u give him/her. I normally do it every other day. I would try bathing him/her every day while your waiting for the vets appointment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lorraine said:
I used to use play sand and top soil and my babies didn't like it so I changed it to top soil. I wouldn't change it now as they get on really well with it they are more active now.

Also how many baths do u give him/her. I normally do it every other day. I would try bathing him/her every day while your waiting for the vets appointment.

Hi Lorraine:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
it might be parasites, my RF had diarrhea and it turned out that it had a parasite. I was given some meds to put in its food by my vet. The tort didn't have anymore diarrhea after that. So, I would say take it to get checked for parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.