sissy in wood...unpainted and painted

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
Ok I believe i mentioned that spike got me the motorized wood carvinig tools i wanted for my birthday....which isnt until sunday but since they came in early he let me have them. Any way for my second in the round peace I carved a tort....and I tried to paint it to look like sissy...lol Its been a LOT of years since i last did any carving and this is the first time iv used motorized tools so its not the greatest but iv seen and made worse lol I think i proubly made to many marks on the shell...they proubly should have been larger and fewer but oh well lol maybe i'll crochet a small tort shell cover for it lol
unpainted sissy2.JPGunpainted sissy3.JPGunpaintedsissy1.JPGunpaintedsissy4.JPGpainted sissy 4.JPGsissy painted3.JPGsissypainted 2.JPGsissypainted1.JPG

Dragon

michagin
I think its pretty darn good. I like it both ways too.
why thank you! its been a long time like i said since i did any real carving and my first time using the motorized tools... Iv lost a lot of my upper body strength this past year...trying to keep up the arm excersies they taught me at lung therpy in the hopes that i will be able to countue doing all the woodworking iv been doing over the years. I have a picture of a totum pole i made 40 some odd years ago with just a jack knife some hand chissles, and a small ax. out of a telephone pole. I was pg with my son at the time....ahh those were the days!! lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That looks great for a first time-in-a-long-time effort!!

What kids of rotary tools are you using, Foredom? A dual canister type mask will help alleviate the dust and accompanying issues that come with COPD if you are in recovery pulmonary therapy, but they are heavy on the face.

You are doing great work my friend....I look forward to seeing more!

jeff

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think it's great. I really liked how it looked with just the natural wood coloration. 🍀💚

Dragon

michagin
That looks great for a first time-in-a-long-time effort!!

What kids of rotary tools are you using, Foredom? A dual canister type mask will help alleviate the dust and accompanying issues that come with COPD if you are in recovery pulmonary therapy, but they are heavy on the face.

You are doing great work my friend....I look forward to seeing more!

jeff
weeellll I hate to admit it but most of the time i forget all about putting a mask on...and when i do its just a paper mask we get a box of them from harbor fraight when im about out....I have a carving tool that has chisel bits and then just a regular dremal with wood carving bits in it. im saving for a new scroll saw right now...i will try harder to remember the mask...after 50 years of just picking up the wood and working with it....new habits are hard to make lol humm maybe i should make a couple of signs and hang one at the scroll saw and one over the table where i do my carving saying PUT ON A MASK!! lol im working on really small compound cut patterns now....doing a little carving on them to hopefuly make them better....making crochet chicken coasters and a fish graph dish rag.... i have a few things in the craft room waiting to be sewn as well. should proubly get off the computer and get to something lol like maybe dishes lol work before play!!! maybe lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Orrrrr because you know you are "unteachable"(lol), do yourself a favor and setup a small fan PULLING the dust laden air out a window or door....

There is a "worse" to your copd

I'm@42%.....and my name is Superman

Whatever you do, don't stop DOING!!! It's fantastic that you are creating cool stuff......the joy you are creating for yourself, your family and even strangers here on this venue, it's kind of Gods gift.....it's what "this whole thing"....is all about!

Last edited:

Dragon

michagin
lol I have a mask sitting on the table right now next to my carving tools and as soon as they start selling them again i shall get 2 one for the kitchen table and one for the scroll saw. I was housebound for 18 years which gave me plenty of time to learn how to do a lot of different crafts.... my ex used to take the different crafts to craft shows....we made at least 100 dollars a show... I dont do the craft show cerict anymore....for 2 good reasons..1) i suffer from panic and anxity with agoraphobia....and 2) because i cant do math worth a darn. then after spike came we started selling things on line at ebay...but when the headaces and migrines got so bad i couldnt do any of the crafts anymore i had to stop... we re thinking of trying to sell on line again....but we want to wait awhile and see if the bowtox will countue to work as i do the crafts more and more...