Small river on tortoise table

joecolonna

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some comments/opinions on an idea I've been having. I'm building a new tortoise table for a young hermanns, and am thinking about constructing a small 'river' flowing through part of it, with a small pump to allow for a continuous flow. Not only would this provide fresh drinking water, but would also be useful for cleaning etc. (Dont worry, it would be changed 2x daily with ease).

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms/suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Salspi

Chicago
Sounds very cool... My only worry would be clogging and flooding. And, the depth of the river.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea, however, I think it would be difficult to maintain. Let's ask @Anyfoot to show us his "river" and explain how he maintains it. His is in a tortoise building, so a larger scale than in a tort table, but same principle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds cool. I can't wait too see Anyfoot's and then see what you do, if you do it.
I wouldn't make it too deep and if you could somehow have the water circulate through filtering materials it would help keep it clean.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some comments/opinions on an idea I've been having. I'm building a new tortoise table for a young hermanns, and am thinking about constructing a small 'river' flowing through part of it, with a small pump to allow for a continuous flow. Not only would this provide fresh drinking water, but would also be useful for cleaning etc. (Dont worry, it would be changed 2x daily with ease).

Thanks guys!
I’ll get some photos of what I did. I clean mine out about every 3 to 4 months. It’s topped up every couple of wk with fresh water because it evaporates. The evaporation creates the humidity I need. Quite low maintenance. Torts use it Daily.

On a smaller scale I was thinking about putting an enclosure on top of a water tank. So basically you can have a small pond with water running into it from a waterfall (creates oxygen) that overflows into and through pebbles into tank below the enclosure. Pump would be in tank below pumping back around. I found rather than a water fall that simply having water dropping back into pond through pvc pipe is more reliable. It’s creates more oxygenated water and my torts seem to enjoy sitting under the water that falls onto the carapace.
The trick is to use a pump that can cope with big particles flowing through.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is a very quick crude sketch just to get the idea across. Much more thought needs to go into it and wants refining. This would offer high humidity and soaking for babies. Couple something like this with no direct intense heat could work to grow smooth tortoises constantly.

A project for you @Tom. Maybe use a fish tank with an acrylic false bottom above water level.
I think we need to go overboard with hydration in first yr or 2 until bone structure sets, aswell as high calcium intake with no basking.
2267AB7C-9FD7-4175-9C51-798DDE759B2D.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
…as well as high calcium intake with no basking.

In my experiments, calcium has made zero difference.

Also from my experiments, the only two species that I know of that do well with out basking are RFs and Radiata. Sulcata, leopards, russians, stars, and CDTs all need basking areas.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
In my experiments, calcium has made zero difference.

Also from my experiments, the only two species that I know of that do well with out basking are RFs and Radiata. Sulcata, leopards, russians, stars, and CDTs all need basking areas.

I can vouch for my two (RFs), have NEVER seen them bask! Not even once in the 3 yrs I’ve had them.

joecolonna

Egypt
Thanks for the response guys! It gonna take some careful planning but I think ill definitely go ahead with the idea. If anyones got any suggestions please let me know!

TaraL

Surprise
Hi everyone,

Thanks guys!
Did you ever get this finished? I would love to hear about how you did it and see some pics