So I was supposed to get my baby hermann tortoise in the mail today but......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike 3611

5 Year Member
I got these instead!

2012-06-14 10.27.55.jpg
2012-06-14 10.38.13.jpg

Does anybody know what type of snake they are, or how I care for them untill I can ship them back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Look to be albino banded california kingsnakes. Nice snakes for pets but definitely not a tort. May I ask who seller is? They look healthy and should fine for a week or so. Keep them in seperate enclosures (they eat snakes as well as rodents) such shoeboxes on aspen bedding with water dish.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
they are the oddest looking tortoises I have ever seen, if I knew any better I would say they are snakes...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Bummer! Somewhere someone else is being disappointed to find baby Hermann's instead of their little snakes. I hope they take very good care of the little guys!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( What a disappointment to have opened that box and not have the tortoise you had been anxiously awaiting, same goes for the other guy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow.. glad you are are willing to do the right thing by them. can you imagine if you were deathly afraid of snakes and getting that? poor things would be dead, or?? I hope your tortoise is ok,, where ever it is....

reticguy76

5 Year Member
based on the pic, they look to be snow cornsnakes. very interesting mistake.

they are very easy to care for. 20 gallon aquarium with aspen shavings, one hide, 50-60 watt heat lamp on one side, water dish. depending on size, mice or rats.

They could be albino kings though. hard to tell with those pics. clearer shot of the head and different background for the coloring/pattern will help

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Hard to tell, but like retic and Itort said, they look to be albino CA kingsnakes or snow cornsnakes. They do not appear to be venomous.

If you really want to play it safe, the snakes look healthy enough. You can just leave them where they are in those little plastic containers as long as there's a few holes in for ventilation. Not the most ideal option for the snakes, but I certainly don't want to place you or your family in danger in case I or someone else on this thread is wrong. As long as they have air, and the containers are pretty secure, they'll be fine until you can sort out the problem and ship them to their rightful owner.

Given that "most" responsible venomous keepers do not ship hot snakes in that manner (usually the containers are more secure and EVERYTHING is labeled accurately), I am 98% those are harmless cornsnakes or kingsnakes. IN that case, you could care for them as retic suggested. I personally would not concern yourself with feeding them. Snakes can go weeks without food. As long as they are relatively warm (upper 70s/low 80s) and have access to water, they'll be fine. LOL....snakes are exponentially easier to care for tortoises!

reticguy76

5 Year Member
although, snakes can go weeks without food, if they are new hatchlings, that is not a good thing. the first year of life for snakes (as with any animal really) is nutrition and proper feeding.
they are not venomous. they are for sure either a snow corn or albino king (although, most albino kings have more yellowing, that seems to be purple and white,which indicates snow genes, not sure if there are snow kings around, dont think there is a anery kingsnake gene).
what is the size of the snakes ?? any paperwork showing hatch date, last time they ate, shed, etc ??

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, I do want to point out to you one thing that really needs to be mentioned, IF your thinking of placing them into another enclosure... snakes are masters of getting out of "secure" enclosures. Make certain whatever you use for a top is tight tight tight.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
@ Retic: -- I dunno...given the size of the containers and the approximate size of the snakes, I wouldn't say those are hatchlings. IMHO, they look to be about as big around as my thumb or largest finger and are probably eating fuzzies or possibly small hoppers.

Again, my advice was mostly geared toward someone who is completely new/ignorant to snakes, and may not want to contend with the possibility of them escaping or biting, or whatever. If you or I had received the packaged, we would be more equipped to deal with them, but someone with (I'm assuming?) no snake experience does not. Not the ideal situation but I maintain that even a young snake isn't going to die if not fed for 2 weeks. Hopefully this little mix-up will be resolved within that period of time.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
reticguy76 said:
although, snakes can go weeks without food, if they are new hatchlings, that is not a good thing. the first year of life for snakes (as with any animal really) is nutrition and proper feeding.

While it is not ideal, I think it would be asking a lot of the OP to feel they HAVE to feed or attempt to feed them. Depending on where they live, it also may be hard to find the appropriate size and type of food. I would also hope the seller is in contact with you and together your coming up with a plan for care and to return these ummmm shell less tortoises.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I should have elaborated a little more, please dont get the wrong idea about my post. I was posting from my point of view (if I received snakes instead of a tortoise, Id be elated, haha) I just always assume all reptile people love snakes, haha.
Back on track, I agree, if the sole intention is to return the snakes and receive tortoise as origically planned, do not feed or get them in a nice crazy cage set up. If the plan is to ship them back and they eat soon before shipping, they have a very high chance of regurging the meal.
Its all dependent on the plan of action the op is wanting to take, and what actually happens with rectifying it. Hopefully the seller is a good and reputable and it was simply a mis-lableing incident and it gets corrected asap. If not, the op has to figure something out with either keeping these awesome snakes or whatever

One last thing, although its the sellers mistake, the op should be in contact with the seller, as the seller may not even realized what has happened yet, till either the op notifies him/her or the other person who received the tortoise notifies him/her, or if it was simply a mistake by a staff memeber or someone other than the actual contact person, he/she still may not know

mike 3611

5 Year Member
Once I contacted the reptile shipping company it didn't take long to sort everything out, turns out that the rightful owner of the snakes asked for some last minute change which resulted in mine and his boxes being mixed up. Also my tortoise is on its way back to its original owner now and I should be receiving it Tuesday. :)

As it turns out the company has a location pretty close to where I live, so all I have to do is bring the snake there and drop them off, looks like I wont be having to care for snakes any time soon!

Thanks for all the helpful replys!

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Glad it all worked out for the animals and you keepers. Thats whats important

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
mike 3611 said:
Once I contacted the reptile shipping company it didn't take long to sort everything out, turns out that the rightful owner of the snakes asked for some last minute change which resulted in mine and his boxes being mixed up. Also my tortoise is on its way back to its original owner now and I should be receiving it Tuesday. :)

As it turns out the company has a location pretty close to where I live, so all I have to do is bring the snake there and drop them off, looks like I wont be having to care for snakes any time soon!

Thanks for all the helpful replys!

Fantastic news! :D

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Funny - Those aren't Cornsnakes or Kingsnakes........

They look like Albino Black Rats to me.....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
EricIvins said:
Funny - Those aren't Cornsnakes or Kingsnakes........

They look like Albino Black Rats to me.....

That is quite possible. It's hard to tell by just those pics. Seeing as how cornsnakes are in fact ratsnakes, it would be difficult to tell by those pics between an albino black rat or a snow corn.

OP, I hope your tortoise arrives healthy and happy.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
The pics are tough, they just dont scream corns, kings or rats to me. the more I look at them, looks like jungles (hybrid)

or creamsicle morph

Status
Not open for further replies.