Soft shell

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My leopard top shell on the edge by his butt is soft, when I lightly push on it . Is this normal almost looks like new growth since it has some points on it and some of it is see through. Is this normal in a hatchling? He gets his calcium supplement 3 times a week. I have been putting him in the sun as much as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_2280.PNG
    IMG_2280.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

Nisi

New York
temps are all in normal range he has all the right bulbs.. in a closed chamber enclosure holding humidity at 80-83 percent.. he gets calcium 3 times a week.. he doesn't like mazuri but I still offer it to him.. spring mixed greens with herbal hay. I have been a little nutty to make sure everything is perfect for this little guy.

Nisi

New York
what I mean by soft.. when I press on the edge of the shell near his tail (the ridged) growth its flexible.. not like sponge soft

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
temps are all in normal range he has all the right bulbs.. in a closed chamber enclosure holding humidity at 80-83 percent.. he gets calcium 3 times a week.. he doesn't like mazuri but I still offer it to him.. spring mixed greens with herbal hay. I have been a little nutty to make sure everything is perfect for this little guy.
In your beleaf temps are in " normal range " but it would be Easyer if you ask a question , we have to ask questions , and if you deside to answer them we' ll give you better answers . But you feel you have this under control . Good luck !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Denise:

Just make sure he's getting calcium AND either real sunshine or light from a GOOD UVB light. Calcium doesn't work inside the tortoise's body unless he also gets UVB either from the sun or from a good light. Calcium is what makes for strong shells and bones.

Nisi

New York
In your beleaf temps are in " normal range " but it would be Easyer if you ask a question , we have to ask questions , and if you deside to answer them we' ll give you better answers . But you feel you have this under control . Good luck !
I am not trying to be rude, please don't take it that way. His hot spot is 98-100 all around the other area of enclosure goes from 84-92 his hide is 83. he has a power sun mercury 100 w bulb and a 10.0 long bulb reptile bulb along the back of the enclosure. and a red bulb at night. I was silly to think people remember ever post. sorry if that reply came across as i am a know it all. i am sure not by all means unless your in my kitchen ;)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry I was a little short . Just wanted to help . Again sorry about being short . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472061156.428947.jpg. Most of us use these bulbs not red bulbs .

Nisi

New York

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds like everything is ok.

I like the CHE set on a thermostat for nighttime too. I don't like the colored bulbs because tortoises have better color vision that we do, so if you can see it, they can see it better. I prefer to have it dark at night for them.

What was the source of this baby and what methods were used to start it?

Nisi

New York
It sounds like everything is ok.

I like the CHE set on a thermostat for nighttime too. I don't like the colored bulbs because tortoises have better color vision that we do, so if you can see it, they can see it better. I prefer to have it dark at night for them.

What was the source of this baby and what methods were used to start it?

Not to sure how the breeder started him. I bought him from Tyler and Sarah at Tortoise Supply. I had him delivered July 8th to me we built an enclosure for him. I have him in a closed chamber. when he arrived to me he was 33g and he bounces from 35g-37g.. but I weight him every day. because I am so nervous. here is a picture of him yesterday and his plastron looks like new growth right?

Attachments

• IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    980.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I remember originally you didn't start with closed chamber and this is what you said "the breeder didn't start him in a closed enclosure so his is open". Hopefully this didn't start any issues.

Nisi

New York
I had him for a week and due to everyone's input I build a closed chamber his cage has alway held humidity around 80's it wasn't holding it all day so we had to keep misting. .. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472072324.707610.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I remember I was one of them. I'm just saying you said the breeder started in open enclosure, that does cause concern for me. It might not be anything to worry about, it's just something brought up a lot.

Nisi

New York
I just went through all the emails from the breeder to double check. He has open enclosure. With a humid hides. I have been doing everything I can to follow the advice I have been given. Since the week I have gotten him. I am trying the best I can. It's very frustrating. I can run a hospital but raising a leopard tortoise seems impossible

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I just went through all the emails from the breeder to double check. He has open enclosure. With a humid hides. I have been doing everything I can to follow the advice I have been given. Since the week I have gotten him. I am trying the best I can. It's very frustrating. I can run a hospital but raising a leopard tortoise seems impossible
New things are always hard , but once you get it done it will become second hand to you . Have a great time they are worth it !

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
what I mean by soft.. when I press on the edge of the shell near his tail (the ridged) growth its flexible.. not like sponge soft

are you refering to the supracaudal scute?
the growth on marginal and supracaudal scutes will be on the inside eges.

i think by edge you mean the outer edge. it is quite thin on normal baby leos, and it could be unusually thin on your baby. also depends on how hard you are pressing. this thin edge erodes away as they grow.