Soft shell

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
are you refering to the supracaudal scute?
the growth on marginal and supracaudal scutes will be on the inside eges.

i think by edge you mean the outer edge. it is quite thin on normal baby leos, and it could be unusually thin on your baby. also depends on how hard you are pressing. this thin edge erodes away as they grow.

Yes that is what I am talking about. I was able to get in touch with my friend who is a breeder and told me that is normal.. Thank you for you help J.P

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes that is what I am talking about. I was able to get in touch with my friend who is a breeder and told me that is normal.. Thank you for you help J.P

How's things going with the little one?

Nisi

New York
He's doing well. Eating a lot but no change in weight that is so frustrating to me. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472740711.859542.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472740725.962616.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just keep feeding, as long as the appetite is good and the eyes are clear I wouldn't worry. It's crazy how some just grow slow. I have a 2 and half year old leopard that weighs half what my 1 and a half year old does.

Nisi

New York
How's things going with the little one?

time will tell he is only 4 months old so we shall see what the next month brings. we are building a new enclosure this weekend. Making his a little bigger and the closed chamber part easier to open. Do you give yours any vitamin supplements?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I Put D3 on the food a few times a week and today on my tort cam I watched my little one (march 2 baby) working over the cuttlebone in the enclosure. Its the first time I've seen her eat on it and its been in there for weeks.

Nisi

New York
I put calcium I have to check I am not sure if that is D3 as well.. What is a Tort Cam.. I would love one of those does it hook to your phone?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have an old iphone that connects to wifi with the free app presence installed, it sits inside the enclosure and sends me alerts when motion is detected. Then I can open the app from my phone and watch to see what's going on. It makes video's and I can take pictures.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Here is a couple of pics I just took remotely while I'm at work 20 minutes away. I first used it on one of my other torts because it was flipping a lot. Video's show up a lot better too.

Attachments

• pres 1.PNG
    pres 1.PNG
    694.7 KB · Views: 20
  • pres 2.PNG
    pres 2.PNG
    445.2 KB · Views: 19

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Here's another from early this morning

Attachments

• spy.jpg
    spy.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 12

Nisi

New York
That is really cool. I will
Have to hunt down my old iPhone.

Update: I was thinking at work diagnosing juggalo as a patient. I am soaking him to much I think. So what ever he eats I soak him and he poops it out. So he must be pooping out all his nutrition . Do you think I am on to something or just crazy

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's a pretty good question, one that I'm not sure of....
I DO NOT soak my torts everyday, even when they were babies. I believe it's good to keep them hydrated, so I do it every other day, yes when I do they poop. Watching my torts on the cam is nice because I see them drink and soak on there own also I put the dish where they must walk through it to get to the food. I see no need in handling them much when they are little, they see us as a huge predator and probably (not sure) does mess with them a little.

Plus I can watch without disturbing them or hovering over, They can go about their business and I can still watch

Last edited by a moderator:

Nisi

New York
I am going to start soaking him every other day. Give it a couple of weeks and if he doesn't grow I am sending him to my breeder who live in my town. To see if he can get him to grow .

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My leopard top shell on the edge by his butt is soft, when I lightly push on it . Is this normal almost looks like new growth since it has some points on it and some of it is see through. Is this normal in a hatchling? He gets his calcium supplement 3 times a week. I have been putting him in the sun as much as I can.
How about good UVB/natural sun? No supplement will help in absence of uvb. Oooppps!!! Somehow I've managed to skip the entire thread! Sorry! Never mind my post! Been already addressed:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I am going to start soaking him every other day. Give it a couple of weeks and if he doesn't grow I am sending him to my breeder who live in my town. To see if he can get him to grow .

I hope things get going, keep us posted.

Nisi

New York
Still no weight gain. I can't get him to eat Mazuri or Zoo med grassland. I am taking him to the Vet on Monday to check his stool. I just don't know what else to do.