Some box turtle stuff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I don't think box turtles get enuf publicity...They are great easy to keep turtles and each has his own personality. When I was in Calif a few weeks ago Y gave me a Terrapine ornata, they have a reputation for being hard to keep and they are difficult to acclimate to a new place...nut not for me...this is the female I brought home...I was trying to take a photo for Y...
she's napping...100_2357.JPG
look out...here she comes...100_2360.JPG
ouch!100_2359.JPG
I think I'm gonna call her Scrappy...100_2382.JPG
this is Ginger...she has a nice hand made sleeping box....100_2374.JPG
and one not so nicely made, but still made by hand...100_2375.JPG
but this is what she prefers...100_2373.JPG
Buddy likes this over a handmade house...lol
100_2378.JPG
Box turtles are easy to keep, small enuf to have forever and I just really like them...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey. Quick question. I heard box turtles follow the stars back to the place they hatched to lay eggs at the smae spot. Is that true?
I don't know. But it could be...or near true. I understand that sea turtles always return to their original nesting beach to lay their eggs? Don't know about following the stars, though. It sounds nice.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't think box turtles get enuf publicity...They are great easy to keep turtles and each has his own personality. When I was in Calif a few weeks ago Y gave me a Terrapine ornata, they have a reputation for being hard to keep and they are difficult to acclimate to a new place...nut not for me...this is the female I brought home...I was trying to take a photo for Y...
she's napping...View attachment 344808
look out...here she comes...View attachment 344809
ouch!View attachment 344810
I think I'm gonna call her Scrappy...View attachment 344811
this is Ginger...she has a nice hand made sleeping box....View attachment 344812
and one not so nicely made, but still made by hand...View attachment 344813
but this is what she prefers...View attachment 344814
Buddy likes this over a handmade house...lol
View attachment 344815
Box turtles are easy to keep, small enuf to have forever and I just really like them...
I like them too. Daisy May has such a sweet personality but I still had to rehome her because I can't give her what she needs. My little Russian is about the same size but I'm more able to do him. I just have to keep both eyes open 🤣 and a baby cam operational 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey. Quick question. I heard box turtles follow the stars back to the place they hatched to lay eggs at the smae spot. Is that true?
I heard or read their territory is so small that I believe that's true. What I read is that it's only a 2 or 3 mile radius. That's why it's so important to release them back exactly where you find them. If you rescue and try to rehabilitate them for release back into the wild.

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
A couple of comments... there is no evidence that box turtles purposely return to the spot where they hatched (via the stars or GPS or anything else), but it is possible that generations of box turtles living in a certain habitat might end up nesting in the same general area, if the open, sunny nesting sites they need are limited.
I note that box turtles can make good pets, but because wild populations are notably declining almost everywhere, and most states where they occur prohibit or restrict their collection, buying anything other than captive-bred turtles is not advised.
And, one of your Ornate Box Turtles (I think the one you call Ginger) has a badly over-grown beak, which will eventually interfere with eating, and will need to be trimmed— hopefully by a veterinarian who knows how to do it!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A couple of comments... there is no evidence that box turtles purposely return to the spot where they hatched (via the stars or GPS or anything else), but it is possible that generations of box turtles living in a certain habitat might end up nesting in the same general area, if the open, sunny nesting sites they need are limited.
I note that box turtles can make good pets, but because wild populations are notably declining almost everywhere, and most states where they occur prohibit or restrict their collection, buying anything other than captive-bred turtles is not advised.
And, one of your Ornate Box Turtles (I think the one you call Ginger) has a badly over-grown beak, which will eventually interfere with eating, and will need to be trimmed— hopefully by a veterinarian who knows how to do it!
I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue...when I get a turtle or tortoise they are generally in rough shape. I know 2 have over grown beaks. I have a dremmel tool that I use, I work on them slowly

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue...when I get a turtle or tortoise they are generally in rough shape. I know 2 have over grown beaks. I have a dremmel tool that I use, I work on them slowly
Yes, it is possible to "do it yourself" if trained and are careful not to crack the beak. But if an experienced person such as yourself is not available. I'd still recommend going to a "herp-trained" vet.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I think between her and her sister, they got it well covered JT but you're right, I've read that's it's pretty bad for them.....I'm guessing similar to "cutting to the quick" on a dogs paw? I know a lot of animals, people included have a huge amount of nerve endings right under our noses. I do not know about reptiles much less turtle's nervous systems though.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
You are speaking my language. Always been my favorite turtle breed. As many different personalities as there are patterns. Mine are adopted from all over and each has their own routine and preferences.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are speaking my language. Always been my favorite turtle breed. As many different personalities as there are patterns. Mine are adopted from all over and each has their own routine and preferences.
One of mine too. Very similar in nature to the Manouria species, my other favorite!

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I love watching my box turtles move around their outdoor enclosure. They are always doing something interesting. Such a curious and intelligent species.

Attachments

• 4ADF39EE-38DB-43B4-A744-F6796BC40ECE.jpeg
    4ADF39EE-38DB-43B4-A744-F6796BC40ECE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 3AFC073B-5AB1-4A0C-AF77-CDEC9BF1A122.jpeg
    3AFC073B-5AB1-4A0C-AF77-CDEC9BF1A122.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • AE466800-BA05-4F1B-A75D-11ECC2365523.jpeg
    AE466800-BA05-4F1B-A75D-11ECC2365523.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 6