speed bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

moraima_jay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Noel, MO
lil speed bump came to us around late sept or early october. she was badly injured due to a car running over her..she suffered some pretty bad injury to her carapace that caused her nerve damage to her rear legs and a broken rear left foot..here are some pics of her when i got her.now she is a sweet lil thing...her carapace appears to have healed completely and now she i finally acting like a box turtle, she took her first unassisted dip in the water bowl and fought for her super worm with the older female and actually won...:rolleyes:
i will post most recent pics later this week so you can see the progress:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01579.JPG
    DSC01579.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01581.JPG
    DSC01581.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor little speed bump. Its really amazing how resilient they are. What usually gets them when they're injured that badly isn't the injury, but rather infection. I'm glad she's getting better and can't wait to see a more recent picture!

(Its good to see someone else can't take non-blurry close-ups. I thought I was the only one! :p )

moraima_jay

5 Year Member
Noel, MO
here are some recent speed bump pics...i am so proud of her:)

Attachments

• user21005_pic9384_1289378865.jpg
    user21005_pic9384_1289378865.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01771.jpg
    DSC01771.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01770.jpg
    DSC01770.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 23

moraima_jay

5 Year Member
Noel, MO
well it was not easy keeping speed bump clean but that is pretty much how i treated it..i work in a vet emergency hospital where we treat mostly cats and dogs....i have yet to see a turtle other than mine to come across...
one of the doctors helped me...he had to look up on the internet and come up with some doses for the lil 1/4 pound turt...
we first treated it with some buprenorphine (buprenex) injection for pain..treated her with that about every 3 days since they metabolise it slow...we treated her at home with injectable baytril( antibiotic )and meta-cam (NSAID) every other day both diluted with saline...
i had some lactated ringers at home for daily cleaning of the cracked carapace and wounds on her foot..we patted her dry with a paper towel and put on some silver sulfadiazine cream on the wounds. the carapace we put a piece of telfa bandage dressing. my husband came up with the idea of using some duct tape as a brace for the carapace and to keep the bandage material in place...i soaked her about every other day since she did not want to move..
i also force fed her with a curved syringe with Fluker's Repta-Aid which is a herbivore emergency aid powder that helps the turtle with nutrition and electrolyte balance...
she got this after each soaking..
we kept her in a small 5 gal tank with paper towels as a substrate to keep her clean..
she had her own light and UVB bulb...
it was a long recovery
the carapace seemed to start holding after a while we removed the duct tape and after a week...it didnt appear to seperated at all..
it took about a month before we got to this point.
but it was all worth it
she is a love...at least i think she is a female..about 1 or 2 years at least that is what her scutes on her plastron say.
now she has her physical therapy at least once a month be
cause of her neurological damage to her hind left leg..she sometimes remembers it is there but in the water she always uses it..
it wasnt til about 2 weeks ago she wobbled to the water and took her first dip on her own...and she appears to move better...every day she progresses and becomes more of what she is ............a wonderful turtle..i love her..
GO SPEEDY!!!!!LOL
here are some pics of her today...

Attachments

• DSC02153.JPG
    DSC02153.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 13
  • speed bump 1_14_11.JPG
    speed bump 1_14_11.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 17
  • speed bump 2.JPG
    speed bump 2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 14
  • speed bump 3.JPG
    speed bump 3.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 16
  • speed bump.JPG
    speed bump.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 12
  • speed bump4.JPG
    speed bump4.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 16
  • speed bump5.JPG
    speed bump5.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 15

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have seen several with this type of damage recover just fine with the right treatment. I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.