[split] My "sulcata" is a Chaco!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

poison

5 Year Member
well heirs my 4-6 year old sulcata named tiny who is very tiny for her age the people who had her before me had her for 4 years and when they first got her she was the same size. ive had her for about 2 months and im already sing progress. shes about 5-6 inches

P1020076.jpg

P1020651.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: Sulcata photos

poison said:
well heirs my 4-6 year old sulcata named tiny who is very tiny for her age the people who had her before me had her for 4 years and when they first got her she was the same size. ive had her for about 2 months and im already sing progress. shes about 5-6 inches

P1020076.jpg

P1020651.jpg

Do you have a picture of her plastron by chance?

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
poison said:

P1020076.jpg

P1020651.jpg

im not sure what a plastron is lol

poison

5 Year Member

ok thanks :)

tortadise said:
poison said:

P1020076.jpg

P1020651.jpg

P1020662.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

poison said:
can somebody tell me what a plastron? lol

The bottom of the shell. Sorry.

Just as I thought. Did the people you got her from say where they got her from?

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
poison said:
can somebody tell me what a plastron? lol

The bottom of the shell. Sorry.

Just as I thought. Did the people you got her from say where they got her from?

i got her from a local pet store that didn't have room for her they only had her for a few days and they got it from a person that had it for 4 years.
why did you wanna se the bottom?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Because I believe shes a chaco, which would be the reason shes stayed that small. It can sometimes very very difficult to tell the difference when they color up same as sulcatas. I could be wrong, but ive been looking at mine all day comparing and reading everything you have posted about her, the years you have had her, and she looks identical to a female chaco I had few years ago. Did the pet store breed hatch her out?

These are the two I have now, I dont have a photo of my older female but she WAS identical to yours in color perspective.

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Because I believe shes a chaco, which would be the reason shes stayed that small. It can sometimes very very difficult to tell the difference when they color up same as sulcatas. I could be wrong, but ive been looking at mine all day comparing and reading everything you have posted about her, the years you have had her, and she looks identical to a female chaco I had few years ago. Did the pet store breed hatch her out?

These are the two I have now, I dont have a photo of my older female but she WAS identical to yours in color perspective.

no the pet store only had her for a few days until i came in im not sure where the people got her before they gave it to the pet store. and is chaco a morph or something? im a little confused

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

The size and years as well as the scales on the front legs gave me the hint. Notice how her scales are more rounded and dont really protrude or come to a spike like a sulcata. I could be wrong they are very close in appearance like I said when there color is that light. and just so you know chacos are very rare. I paid 1500 a piece for mine. They are same care, they just come from argentina in the desert. They will burrow like a sulcata too. Basically they are a mini sulcata from south america. But then again I could be wrong, just makes sense to me knowing both species of chaco and sulcata.

poison

5 Year Member

how do i find out for sure? so a chaco is not a sulcata right? its a hole other species?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

No sometimes chacos have really really light colors, Usually they are pretty dark like my female in the photo on the left. When they are super light like yours is colored it makes it very very hard to decifer the difference. I have seen sulcatas stay super small but usually hit some sort of growth spurt especially around 4-6 years old. Chacos females will get 8" and males stay around 6" the male in the photo I attached (on the right) is around 40 years old. Thats a super steel if you paid sulcata price for her.

Correct. two different species. geochelone chilensis is the chaco from south america, and geochelone sulcata from africa. Can you get some bigger photos of her maybe?

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
No sometimes chacos have really really light colors, Usually they are pretty dark like my female in the photo on the left. When they are super light like yours is colored it makes it very very hard to decifer the difference. I have seen sulcatas stay super small but usually hit some sort of growth spurt especially around 4-6 years old. Chacos females will get 8" and males stay around 6" the male in the photo I attached (on the right) is around 40 years old. Thats a super steel if you paid sulcata price for her.

Correct. two different species. geochelone chilensis is the chaco from south america, and geochelone sulcata from africa. Can you get some bigger photos of her maybe?

i paid $0 lol

yeah ill try to get more pics

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Thats 100% chaco. Man oh man, you got yourself a beautiful one too. The pectoral scutes is the winning identification for yah. These are the long thin scutes that connect just behind her front legs on her stomach. Notice how it goes straight accross and then two scutes just above it are rectangular. On sulcatas they will diaginal instead of square like a sulcatas will. Kinda hard to explain.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

tortadise said:

Wow, what an exciting turn of events! :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yeah sorry to everyone for getting off topic. But when I was scrolling the photos in this thread I took a double take. I have heard almost everyone on here that wondered about there tort being a mini sulcata ends up being a chaco. Never seen one this light though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

OK heres a diagram. Humerial shield doesnt diagonal like I was trying to explain.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

poison said:

Yep they sure do. Thats a chaco tort. Hope your excited theyre quite rare and about as many people I can count on one hand has bred them in captivity.

tortadise said:
OK heres a diagram. Humerial shield doesnt diagonal like I was trying to explain.

Sorry not the humerial, the abdominal shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.