[split] My "sulcata" is a Chaco!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
They do not have temperment like a sulcata. Males can get territorial but they are "stress" type species. If they are kept in large area they do great in social living in groups, pairs just fine in smaller enclosures. my pair actually sleep together, eat together, bask together. They are very social kinda like a pancake. But in big groups multiple males can stress others out.

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
ALDABRAMAN said:
Qustion, do males fight with each other like sulcatas? Or can you keep several males and females together in the proper environment?

I must admit this thread has peaked my interest regarding this species!

I know my breeder keeps his chaco in a 1 male 2 female group. He says on occasion specially during breeding season, the male likes to flip the females over :p but other than that they get along fine in a large outdoor enclosure.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It happens. There breeding season is pretty short though. And luckily females are much bigger than males. Could depend on the male too. My male is very old so maybe hes just tired alot.

poison

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
They do not have temperment like a sulcata. Males can get territorial but they are "stress" type species. If they are kept in large area they do great in social living in groups, pairs just fine in smaller enclosures. my pair actually sleep together, eat together, bask together. They are very social kinda like a pancake. But in big groups multiple males can stress others out.

i never knew pancakes were social :p

Deac77

5 Year Member
i agree i wouldn't give away my tort just because someone else made a mistake you've cared for it and had it and bonded with it im sure people are against me keeping some of the lizards i keep they are not all readily available in the pet trade and some are quite pricey does that mean i have to give them up? they have bonded to me come when called (the bigger ones) and are comfortable here why should i stress them out and give up them after i raised them from hatch-lings and some one else is just going to though them into breeding stock that wont get any attention?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Halcyon said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Qustion, do males fight with each other like sulcatas? Or can you keep several males and females together in the proper environment?

I must admit this thread has peaked my interest regarding this species!

I know my breeder keeps his chaco in a 1 male 2 female group. He says on occasion specially during breeding season, the male likes to flip the females over :p but other than that they get along fine in a large outdoor enclosure.

TX

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
How is it possible that the Chaco will be nonexistent if it is kept as a pet? Somewhere here on the forum a person from another country has a Chaco and says that they are very common where they are from? I think it is just in America that they are so rare. :)

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
RE: [split] My "sulcata" is a Chaco!!

Perhaps the Chaco tortoise could stay in his rightful home, but maybe become part of a breeding program? I really have no idea if this is feasible, if it's a male or female or how the owner feels about it just thought it maybe a compromise?

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member

Reserchbeforecommitment said:
Perhaps the Chaco tortoise could stay in his rightful home, but maybe become part of a breeding program? I really have no idea if this is feasible, if it's a male or female or how the owner feels about it just thought it maybe a compromise?

The most sensible option. This mentality im seeing that is telling OP to HAND OVER their tort just because they are harder to buy makes me sick. What if this species causes the OP to become far more fascinated and dedicated to this animal because of the fact she is rare? Dont you WANT that for our hobby? Op, your tort is lovely, i suggest speaking with tort people you can trust, if you decide to breed your girl. Or find a nice male of your own for her in the future ;) Keep her secret, keep her safe.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member

MooingTricycle said:

The most sensible option. This mentality im seeing that is telling OP to HAND OVER their tort just because they are harder to buy makes me sick. What if this species causes the OP to become far more fascinated and dedicated to this animal because of the fact she is rare? Dont you WANT that for our hobby? Op, your tort is lovely, i suggest speaking with tort people you can trust, if you decide to breed your girl. Or find a nice male of your own for her in the future ;) Keep her secret, keep her safe.

I'm divided. Never knew Chaco's were virtually endangered like Ploughshares or whatnot. If that were the case...yes, the moral thing to do would be turning it over to a breeding project...but unfortunately, I've found morals/humane treatment of reptiles falls to the wayside when it comes to humans who just want a cool pet soooo badly. Yet, Chaco's aren't all that endangered and the OP wants a pet.

Go figure...

poison

5 Year Member

MooingTricycle said:

thank you so much :D

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I'm glad that you didn't give into giving her up. She might be your first tort but you are obviously a reptile lover and was willing to make arrangements for a sulcata. Which shows your dedication. I'm glad she found you and I will admit, if it were me in the same situation, I wouldn't give her up either.

We have an independently owned local pet store here that I've gone to since I could remember.
They had a snake neck turtle there for super cheep. I always wanted a tortoise but he was so cute I started thinking about buying him. I started to do some research and saw sources say they were endangered. Not sure how true that is but it's what came up in my searches.
He was gone when I went back. But was going to get him and give him to a wildlife place we have here. I just felt it was right and didn't want him falling into the wrong hands. I still think about him and hope he is doing great.

The difference between my story and yours aside from my not being able to get the turtle, is that right away this was your pet and bonded with her. You didn't know before that-that she was so rare. No matter what right away I cared for that turtle but the situations are different. She IS your pet and I am just really happy knowing such a beautiful rare find is in loving hands. I hope that-that snack neck turtle found as loving of a home as she has.

EricIvins

5 Year Member

MooingTricycle said:

No, that is NOT the mentality here, but thanks for putting words into my mouth. The animal should go into a Taxon Management Program. Money, or even trade would be exchanged. Nobody is ever expected to just hand something over. One day these animals will be functionally extinct. We do not have enough animals in captivity to properly manage the species if this does happen. While they may still be common in some of their range, DO NOT expect that to be the case in the next 10-20 years. Don't beleive me? Do the research.......There is only ONE person who is producing these animals on a consistant basis in the United States........

These are not Sulcatas or Redfoots, and will never subject to "Sulcatization" like 95% of the species to Tortoises we have in captivity can. Either way, I'm done. I think I've said my peace on the subject. It is just too bad that some people can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to some species........

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
EricIvins said:
No, that is NOT the mentality here, but thanks for putting words into my mouth.

It is just too bad that some people can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to some species........

Agreed and very well said Eric! It really is a shame that many cannot see the big picture and do what is best for the long term survival of their beloved "pet" species.

poison

5 Year Member
who's to say i wouldn't give a shot at breeding these in the future? after looking further they don't go for the $1500 that they used to. And yes i have thought about giving her up before but i have made my choice and im sticking to it unless something happens that i must give her up. And to tell you the truth if i knew she was a rare species i wouldn't have picked her up if i had no intentions on breeding but now that i do have her it will stay like that. And Eric may i ask who is that one person who's producing these?

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
poison said:
who's to say i wouldn't give a shot at breeding these in the future? after looking further they don't go for the $1500 that they used to. And yes i have thought about giving her up before but i have made my choice and im sticking to it unless something happens that i must give her up. And to tell you the truth if i knew she was a rare species i wouldn't have picked her up if i had no intentions on breeding but now that i do have her it will stay like that. And Eric may i ask who is that one person who's producing these?

BCC recently has some success producing chacos. Incredible cute hatchling!
http://news.turtleconservancy.org/2012/09/behler-chelonian-center-update-august-2012/

Though chacos may be rare in the pet trade in US, I believe they are not too rare in argentina, where they r native. Status is vulnerable, but no where endangered like the Madagascan tortoises. I think as long as we are providing a good home for them, that's to be respected. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.