Not open for further replies.

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: Sulcata photos

Thats why shes a small one. Thats actually really good growth for her age. The biggest recomendation I will give is DO NOT hibernate her even if she tries to. Keep her very hot, dry and give her a good deep substrate they will burrow. They like a mist every day for about 3 months and then totally dry for the remainder of the year. Lots of greens, Basically same as sulcata, just in the winter time keep her very warm, at least 85. Hibernating them is very very difficult to do and usually is grave. She will get a little bigger, a huge female chaco is 8-9" they usually stay around 7".

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md

poison said:

I might not know alot about tortoises in general, but I think my sulcatas spurs look alot pointer... He's sleeping right now, but I'll try to post a pic I already took that shows his legs

image-2778645797.png

He also has 2 spurs on each of his hind legs on either side of his tail, does urs have any? She is very beautiful... I love her color

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yep that was one of the differences that kicked my quadary. Chacos are more roundish and dont come to as much of a protruding "spike"

poison

5 Year Member

wow im in shock right now lol. im glad i dont have to worry about giving her a hole yard lol. are you 100% sure shes a chaco?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yes im sure.

And if you wanted a sulcata, I have lots of em. Id love to trade yah ;):):):)

poison

5 Year Member

haha no thank you im kind of glad shes not a sulcata gonna take up less space lol. i was going to build a 8Ft enclosure for her and hoping it would last a couple years is that still enough room for a chaco?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Sorry to put you in shock, and Hijacking this thread. But I though maybe you would like to know. Shes gorgeous. Another tell tell sign is her shape. Shes more rounded, where as sulctas will taper from back to front in somewhat of a more square like shape on there plastron. Just look at yours plastron and compare the pictoral photo I put up. Its night and day.

HAHA I wouldnt want to do that to you anyways.

Oh yeah thats more than enough room. Good loose dirt with some decomposed granite mixed in with it is great substrate and lots of succulents for her to eat would be awesome. Have fun with her shes about full grown. So your plans of sulcata proofing doesnt need to happen.

poison

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Sorry to put you in shock, and Hijacking this thread. But I though maybe you would like to know. Shes gorgeous. Another tell tell sign is her shape. Shes more rounded, where as sulctas will taper from back to front in somewhat of a more square like shape on there plastron. Just look at yours plastron and compare the pictoral photo I put up. Its night and day.

HAHA I wouldnt want to do that to you anyways.

Oh yeah thats more than enough room. Good loose dirt with some decomposed granite mixed in with it is great substrate and lots of succulents for her to eat would be awesome. Have fun with her shes about full grown. So your plans of sulcata proofing doesnt need to happen.

lol thank you so much. but if she ends up getting 100+lb on me im coming after you lol

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Haha ok. If she really is 5 years old even an extremely malnourished sulcata would be at least 10+"

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md

tortadise said:
Yep that was one of the differences that kicked my quadary. Chacos are more roundish and dont come to as much of a protruding "spike"

Yeah, I saw it too but I thought maybe they might all have slight differences, kinda like people, but then I noticed her toes r a little different... Either way, she has a beautiful tortoise! She's very lucky to have found her =) Oogway kinda found me too, I was at Petco getting crickets for my tree frogs and someone brought him in a few minutes before I got there, they said they had found him in their backyard (in baltimore no less lol) he was too little to sell, so I made a donation in his name and took him home. That was 4 weeks ago... He still had his egg tooth until a few days ago! So here's to finding little treasures =)

poison

5 Year Member

Atra42o said:
tortadise said:

Yeah, I saw it too but I thought maybe they might all have slight differences, kinda like people, but then I noticed her toes r a little different... Either way, she has a beautiful tortoise! She's very lucky to have found her =) Oogway kinda found me too, I was at Petco getting crickets for my tree frogs and someone brought him in a few minutes before I got there, they said they had found him in their backyard (in baltimore no less lol) he was too little to sell, so I made a donation in his name and took him home. That was 4 weeks ago... He still had his egg tooth until a few days ago! So here's to finding little treasures =)
thank you :) but you made one mistake im not a she lol

acrantophis

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Yep they sure do. Thats a chaco tort. Hope your excited theyre quite rare and about as many people I can count on one hand has bred them in captivity.

Sorry not the humerial, the abdominal shield.

I thought that poisons sulcata looked different! This is so cool. I hope he realizes how rare Chaco tortoises are!

poison

5 Year Member

acrantophis said:
tortadise said:
Yep they sure do. Thats a chaco tort. Hope your excited theyre quite rare and about as many people I can count on one hand has bred them in captivity.

Sorry not the humerial, the abdominal shield.

I thought that poisons sulcata looked different! This is so cool. I hope he realizes how rare Chaco tortoises are!

i think it just set in lol. i was trying to find vids of them on youtube (but i dont listen to any thing they say about care) and i could only find one. and it said a hypo chaco.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I split it off from the sulcata picture thread. It bad forum etiquette to hijack someone else's thread.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I really hope you consider putting that animal in the hands of someone that already has Chacos.........There is so much more that can be done with that animal than letting it sit without trying to let it reproduce..........

poison

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
I really hope you consider putting that animal in the hands of someone that already has Chacos.........There is so much more that can be done with that animal than letting it sit without trying to let it reproduce..........

no i will not give it some body so they can breed her not all pets need to be bred

Status
Not open for further replies.