Sqishy bottom shell

Myroli

He looks small for a five month old. You might have a problem there. A weight give give me a better clue.

Its all explained here, and I hope this is not the case with yours:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
I got him from the Arizona Tortoise Compound so idk how he was started but I'd read a bunch of good reviews about them from on here before I even got him...and he's acting normal, plus I vaguely remember feeling it move a bit right after I got him but didn't think anything of it then, vut now with the humidifier I'm on HIGH alert for RI and soft shell/shell rot

Myroli

So...what do you think? Is it the normal pliable or is my baby dying?

Myroli

He was really active yesterday "running" around outside and today he is trying to escape from his soaking bowl, so Idk

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
If you're concerned maybe a health check with your herp vet will put your mind at rest - better safe than sorry!?

Myroli

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that, but I cringe at the thought of "wasting" all that money( my mom's words)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
it would be peace of mind for you. People here seem to think it's OK but if you're still not sure then the vet could tell you or do you know any tort keepers in your area who could look at him for you to let you know if it is definitely normal?

Myroli

Actually I know of a breeder whose friends with a coworker of mine so maybe I'll call my coworker and see if she can ask him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that, but I cringe at the thought of "wasting" all that money( my mom's words)

I think it is a waste of money. If this is "breeder failure syndrome", no vet and no amount of money can help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He was really active yesterday "running" around outside and today he is trying to escape from his soaking bowl, so Idk

Activity level and appetite will usually be totally normal in cases of BFS.

Myroli

I have no way of knowing from here, but as I said his weight would be a good clue.
I have no idea how much he weighed when I got him and idk if the scale I just bought actually works since it's not digital

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no idea how much he weighed when I got him and idk if the scale I just bought actually works since it's not digital

I understand. Can you borrow a working scale from a friend, neighbor or family member? You can buy one for about $25 at Target or Walmart.

I don't need to know what he weighed when you got him. Just what he weighs now at 5 months.

Myroli

Yeah, I can try to get one tomorrow, but I'm also not 100%sure on his age because the breeders website said 2-4month old hatchlings were available and I got him 3 months ago...so I'm just guessing

Myroli

If it helps to determine age I think he still had some yolk sac left because he had a dark spot on his bottom shell when I got him and it slowly went away after about a month or so

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
So he is likely around four months give or take. It isn't frightening to still have a little flex in the shell at this age but it should be showing regular weight gain.

Myroli

He's been unintentionally dry for 3 months so I'm assuming that's why....my mom said he looks the tiniest bit bigger and his shell is more domed, and I can see a bit of pyramiding starting :/ but when i measure him with the ruler he's still about 2.5 inches

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I do hope he's OK but let Tom have his weight asap for a better idea.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
He's been unintentionally dry for 3 months so I'm assuming that's why....my mom said he looks the tiniest bit bigger and his shell is more domed, and I can see a bit of pyramiding starting :/ but when i measure him with the ruler he's still about 2.5 inches
You really do need a scale to track growth and to figure out where you stand now.

Myroli

Yeah I know, thats why I got one but it doesn't work very well so I'm getting a digital one today

Myroli

I guess he weighs 1.90 ounces

Attachments

• 1433116514900.jpg
    1433116514900.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 14