Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
$5,000??????? It kills me how people over-inflate the value of their sulcata tortoises. Its over valuation like this that encourages those nefarious nee-do wells to steal them in the first place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its cool that they busted the lying thief and actually charged the SOB. That part it awesome.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Probably behind bars for Grand Theft,, but once they realize the real worth.. it will be dropped to theft..
they better secure the yard and not allow her to run away again.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cool story, not many tortoises make it back home after walking out a gate. Thats why mine are locked with cinder blocks 2 high in front of them

Minority1

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
$5,000??????? It kills me how people over-inflate the value of their sulcata tortoises. Its over valuation like this that encourages those nefarious nee-do wells to steal them in the first place.

I agree. They really should spend more time fact checking their sources.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
bigred said:
Cool story, not many tortoises make it back home after walking out a gate. Thats why mine are locked with cinder blocks 2 high in front of them

I get the locked gate part, but about the cinder blocks.. Are the blocks in front of the gate so the door can still swing open and the person steps over the blocks to pass through? But having them there is a safety guard for accidentally leaving it open, etc?

If so, that is a fantastic idea!! I have been going over options of how to make my gate doors "people accessible" but "tortoise escape proof" at the same time for when my leopard is large enough for the full yard. You just gave me a great idea. Thx.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm sure to the owners Jeep is worth that and more. For grand theft, the property stolen has to be $500+. That it folks. If that 11 year old sully is worth that much, they can charge him with grand theft. With such a large piece of property, it's not easy to pawn her off undetected (Haha). But, that helps us to be vigilant with our torts. Gates have to be strong, secured, and locked which is why my outdoor enclosure will be blocked off with 2' or 3 of cinder blocks sealed in cement. The only way in or out is to climb.=:p

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
emysemys said:

A gross over inflation, I agree! But in this case it makes his crime a felony, so hopefully he'll be off the streets for longer!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm glad the tort is home safely :)

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.