STONE PROBLEM!

Gattu N'Coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
Tortoise of my friend has been diagnosed with stone, and has recommended the medicine "Renalof" does anyone know what else can be done and where to find this syrup faster? Im from INDIA. Please respond ASAP
IMG-20190520-WA0003.jpegIMG-20190520-WA0007.jpegIMG-20190520-WA0006.jpegIMG-20190520-WA0004.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it works, that would be great. It may be difficult to open the tortoise's mouth to get the medicine into him. The only thing I've ever heard to get rid of a urinary tract stone is surgery. But I think it's worth a try. If your friend uses the medication, please keep us in the loop so we can know the outcome.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The medicine seems to be for cats and dogs? I hope it would work for tortoises too, that would be good but I would be very careful and check it out first (Dr. Google?)
The XRay seems to show that the tortoise is quite pyramided? If he has been kept too dry, that may have contributed to the stone? Just thinking aloud.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Surgery is often very successful for bladder stones, but it needs to be done by an experienced herp vet!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so sorry. Thank you for your efforts for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He couldn't make it[emoji22][emoji17]
Those stones are caused by too much protein in the diet, and/or not enough hydration.

Remember your question the other day about the tubifex worms and turtle food? This is why we all said no, and why I told you to soak daily for a while.

Your other tortoises are at great risk of this problem if you've been feeding them and keeping them the same ways as this one. Start soaking them daily and re-examine what foods you are offering them. Their diet should be primarily grasses and weeds. When the wrong foods are fed, it can literally kill them.

alejzp

San José, Costa Rica
Those stones are caused by too much protein in the diet, and/or not enough hydration.

Remember your question the other day about the tubifex worms and turtle food? This is why we all said no, and why I told you to soak daily for a while.

Your other tortoises are at great risk of this problem if you've been feeding them and keeping them the same ways as this one. Start soaking them daily and re-examine what foods you are offering them. Their diet should be primarily grasses and weeds. When the wrong foods are fed, it can literally kill them.
Reading your entry I was thinking about my sulcata, I feed her mainly these: She normally eats grass or hay, Chinese cabbage (which she loves), escarole lettuce, romain lettuce, pumpkin, she loves radish greens (leaves) and I was also giving her some arugula lettuce (but then I was told it has many oxalates) and once in a while chard. She also gets sometimes dandalions and other weeds when I take her to my back yard and I provide also once in a while opuntia (paddle cactus or pear cactus)... I also sprinkle twice a week calcium. I soak her every single day for at least 30 minutes under the sun.
Is this enough or good as a diet? I am new to a sulcata, has had her for 1 and half years already, she has grown but not as much as I thought she was going to, I also use a UV light in her enclosure and she receives natural sun light for at least 30 min every day... she also has an average of 80% humidity constantly in her enclosure plus all the soaking she gets... but still has grown some pyramiding. Any thoughts?