1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

STONE PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by Gattu N'Coco, May 20, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Gattu N'Coco

Gattu N'Coco Member

Location (City and/or State):
    india
    Tortoise of my friend has been diagnosed with stone, and has recommended the medicine "Renalof" does anyone know what else can be done and where to find this syrup faster? Im from INDIA. Please respond ASAP
    IMG-20190520-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20190520-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20190520-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20190520-WA0004.jpeg
    Mitesh mokariya likes this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    If it works, that would be great. It may be difficult to open the tortoise's mouth to get the medicine into him. The only thing I've ever heard to get rid of a urinary tract stone is surgery. But I think it's worth a try. If your friend uses the medication, please keep us in the loop so we can know the outcome.
    TammyJ likes this.
  3. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    The medicine seems to be for cats and dogs? I hope it would work for tortoises too, that would be good but I would be very careful and check it out first (Dr. Google?)
    The XRay seems to show that the tortoise is quite pyramided? If he has been kept too dry, that may have contributed to the stone? Just thinking aloud.
  4. Ben02

Ben02 Well-Known Member

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
    I agree with Tammy, be careful with the dosage you give to the tortoise, it’s designed for domestic cats and dogs...
    TammyJ likes this.
  5. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Surgery is often very successful for bladder stones, but it needs to be done by an experienced herp vet!
    Ben02 likes this.